MATCH REPORT | Wrexham U18s 1-1 Carlisle United U18s

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Fri 19 Oct 2018

Wrexham's young Dragons shared the points with Carlisle United's Under-18's in a close encounter at Stansty Park, with two goals in the opening half an hour the tale of the game.

Calum Huxley's first goal of the season gave the reds the lead 22 minutes in but they were in front for just five minutes as Keighran Kerr levelled with a superb chip over the head of Ben Tinkley in the hosts' goal.

Having drawn at Stansty just a few weeks previous with the Cumbrians netting a late equaliser, Wrexham were keen to get their first win of the campaign under their belt and nearly had the opener on the 20 minute mark. Winger Sam Pilkington found himself on the ball down the right hand side and let fly an effort from 25-yards, the shot looked comforatable for Regan Ward in the visitors goal but the effort caused the ball to ricochet off his frame and go out for a corner.

Moments later though Wrexham would pull ahead during the game where chances were few and far between in the opening stages. Some great build up play from the Dragons saw the ball presented to Huxley just inside the box, the 17-year old managed to compose himself and shift his feet to send the ball flying into the bottom left hand corner and get himself off the mark for the season.

However, just five minutes later the Cumbrians replied in sublime fashion after a clever through ball to striker Kerr saw the young number nine hold off a defender before chipping the ball into the back of the Wrexham net and draw level. 

United nearly made it 2-1 six minutes later after a ball over the top was latched on to by Kerr again who was hacked down by Scott Butler to the left of the Dragons box. The resulting free-kick crashed into the side netting from Josh Galloway. 

With Carlisle hunting for a second goal they continued to apply pressure to the backline of Wrexham and almost broke through again after a cross from the left found Kerr who's looping header fell inches wide of the far post. 

The visitors closest chance of taking the lead came five minutes before the break and again from a set-piece. A free-kick left of centre was struck sweetly by Charteris and with Tinkley beaten it dipped agonisingy towards goal and could only be stopped by crashing against the cross bar. 

Half-time saw the sides go in at 1-1 and after the break the Dragons began brightly having weathered a storm at the end of the first. Pilkington again looked lively and managed to cut inside before unleashing a shot that would sail wide. 

Chances again were limited at both ends until a fiery final 10 minutes saw both sides with oppurtunities to steal the points. A Wrexham free-kick was delivered by Matty Sargent and it fell to Kyle Robinson-Murray who's tame effort inside the box was gathered by the goalkeeper. 

From chances at one end to the other as a defensive mix up almost cost Wrexham if it weren't for the quick reactions of Tinkley between the sticks. As the centre-halves were caught at sixes and sevens Tinkley was alert to rush out and smother the ball before the onrushing forwards could pounce.

Less than sixty seconds later another chance was presented, this time for Wrexham. Sargent picked up the ball in the opposing half and following some tidy build-up play struck an effort just wide from range. Carlisle immeditely replied with a swift counter attacking move which saw left-back Liam Brockbank pick up a stray pass and drive deep into enemy territory before his long range effort flew just past the post. 

Another defensive mishap almost cost Wrexham on 90 minutes but Kyle Soper couldn't profit after running through and snatching at his chance, pulling it wide when presented one on one.

Deep into stoppage time Wrexham would have one last chance as Pilkington's hard work earned a corner. The set-piece was delivered but at the second attempt cleared and each side had to settle for a point in what was an open and entertaining affair.

Wrexham: Tinkley, Butler, Perry, Cleworth, Beaumont, Thorn, Pilkington, Sargent (c), Bickerstaff (Robinson-Murray '68), Jones, Huxley (Allshorn '82).
Unused Subs: Parry.

Carlisle United: R.Ward, Barnes, Brockbank, Braithwaite (Hakmoui '69), Casson, Lightfoot, Galloway, Armstrong (Wombwell '52), Kerr, Papa (c) (Soper '63), Charteris (J.Ward '75). 
Unused Subs: McLoughlin.

Referee: Sam Clark
Assistants: Shaun Ivison & Paul Turner.

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube