MATCH REPORT | Wrexham U18s 2-2 Shrewsbury Town U18s

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sun 18 Nov 2018
Written by Harry Wright

Wrexham U18s rescued a late point at Stansty Park against a tough Shrewsbury Town U18 side in the EFL Youth Alliance on Saturday afternoon (17th November 2018).

Two goals from Jake Bickerstaff brought the young Dragons back into the game, having gone two-nil down after 25 minutes.

A late goal in both halves was what it took for Wrexham U18s to earn the point, although they could have had more.

Wrexham created a flurry of chances in the first half, but couldn’t seem to find the finish. It looked like they would grow to rue the missed opportunities as Shrewsbury went one up after 13 minutes from a corner, Luke Ward heading home James Rowland delivery.

Another goal followed ten minutes later, this time after a messy scramble in the box with Ryan Grosvenor finishing off.

But undeterred, Wrexham persevered and five minutes before half time Bickerstaff clawed one back from a corner.

Wrexham had the chance to equalise early in the second half, when the captain Matty Sargent stood up to take a penalty. It was a good effort, but an even better save from the Shrewsbury keeper, who dove to his right to keep the ball out.

Shrewsbury had an excellent shout for a penalty of their own later in the half and Wrexham could count themselves fortunate that it wasn’t given.

With little in the match to go, it looked like Wrexham would fall to a defeat at the hands of their great rivals, when along came Bickerstaff again, this time slotting the ball past the keeper from a tight angle in the 88th minute.

Wrexham pushed on for the winner, but couldn’t find a way through and took the deserved point.

Wrexham Youth: Tinley, Butler, Perry, Cleworth, Beaumont, Thirn, Allshorn, Sargent, Bikerstaff, M Jones, Huxley.
Subs: Parry, Hughes, Heald, Allen, P Jones.

Shrewsbury Town Youth: Boucher, Corfield, Walker, Rowland, Davies, Ward, Turner, Taylor, Grosvenor, Leask, Mwandwe.
Subs: Beavan, Hartley, Redding, Sears, Elmore.

Referee: Ben Watkiss


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube