REPORT | AFC Telford United 0-0 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 15 Sep 2020

A fast start to the game saw Adi Yussuf play a delightful defence splitting pass for Paul Rutherford to run onto after just two minutes. On a diagonal run, the winger drove to the left flank and crossed deep looking to find Yussuf around the penalty spot, but returning defenders were able to cover back.

A few moments later a free kick on the left for the Reds saw Devonte Redmond delivery deep towards the back post, where Jordan Ponticelli leapt highest, but his flick header carried just the wrong side of the upright.

The action then switched to the other end as Rob Lainton had to be smartly off his line to block the advancing

Ten minutes in and Ponticelli took the ball to the bye line before firing the ball a cross the face of the home net, but no one was on hand to apply the finishing touch.

On the quarter of an hour, Telford pressure saw the ball come back to James Hardy on the edge of the Wrexham box and his fierce drive was parried away by Lainton.

Play was stopped on 24 minutes as a player from either side receive extended treatment for a clash of heads. Theo Vassell was the Wrexham man involved, but good to see the pair back on their feet

A rasping drive from Yussuf, some 18-yards out, carried a yard over the United crossbar.

With 30 minutes on the click, it was an even game at the New Bucks Head, with both teams pushing forward. Reds win a corner on the far side, as Hall-Johnson plays the ball off a defender, but as the cross comes in, a foul to Telford.

First change of the evening saw Jake Bickerstaff replace Ponticelli on 35 minutes,

With five minutes to play before the break, a Hall-Johnson cross from the right caused a melee in the home six-yard box, with Yussuf and Bickerstaff after the ball, but the referee blowing up for a foul as the United defence held on!

Ht 0-0

No further changes at the interval, although Telford are in shirts with no numbers, just to keep you on your toes.

A sweeping Telford move on 51 minutes, saw the ball carry to the back post where it was lashed wide by Brendon Daniels and into the empty terraces.

An assistants’ flag pulls up a promising Wrexham move as

Vassell for Wrexham and Oswell for Telford player are booked on 57 minutes, plenty of players came together, but nothing appeared to happen.

Oswell with a shot from a tight angle is blocked in the Wrexham box, as the home side prepare to make a mass substitution – while Elliott Durrell, Kwame Thomas and Anthony Jeffery went on for Rutherford, Jarvis and Yussuf.

With 20 minutes remaining, there were another seven changes for Wrexham.

Jeffery switched feet on the left wing to cut back and cross with his right, but the ball dropped over the head of Bickerstaff and then just out of range for Jordan Davies at the back post.

As Wrexham looked for a late winner, a stinging effort from Durrell, 25-yards out, just pulled passed the far post, but only by inches.

Into added time and a Jordan Davies freekick from 22-yards hits the wall before spinning away for a corner. As that was delivered from the left a Max Cleworth header was just over the crossbar.

A good workout for both teams ends goalless.

AFC Telford United: Griffiths, Vaughan, White, Cowans, Sutton, Meppan-Walters, Hardy, Walker, Williams, Oswell, Daniels.

Wrexham: Lainton (Dibble 70), Hall-Richards (Trialist A 70), Vassell (Cleworth 79), Kelleher (Pearson 70), Reckord (Carrington 70), Harris (Young 70), Redmond (Davies 70), Jarvis (Jeffrey 60), Rutherford (Durrell 60), Yussuf (Thomas 60), Ponticelli (Bickerstaff 35).



arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube