REPORT | AFC Telford United 0-2 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 13 Jul 2019

Wrexham managed to hold onto Leighton McIntosh’s early strike, survive some heavy pressure from Telford and then grab a second goal in the last few minutes of this friendly.

Fresh from their training camp under the Portuguese sun, manager Bryan Hughes led his troops to the more familiar setting of the New Bucks Head and a meeting with local rivals Telford United.

He continued his use of three centre backs, but this time there were Lawlor (back after injury), Adam Barton and Mark Carrington, with Trialist A and youngster Jack Thorn

The Bucks had the first chance of the game on five minutes, when a ball over the top set #10 away down the right-hand channel, but his final effort was typical of pre-season, crashing into the Wrexham supporters behind Christian Dibble’s goal.

Wrexham took the lead on 12 minutes, when the ball was played out of defence for JJ Hooper to turn his marked 25-yards from goal and slip a pass through to unmarked Leighton McIntosh. The former Airdrie man had a good sight of goal and from 16-yards fired a thunderous effort passed the home keeper Andy Wycherley.

On the half hour, Mark Harris pushed the Reds forward down the right, played in McIntosh whose pass to Hooper, saw the striker fire a low curling effort inches wide of the right-hand post.

A few moments later, down at the other end, a cross from a Telford corner was caught by Dibble, but the keeper was fouled in the process and as the ball dropped free to be tapped home, the referee’s whistle cut short the home celebrations.

The home side were sending in a series of teasing crosses, mainly from Daniels on their left wing and keeping Dibble occupied collecting balls under his crossbar.

Sutton towering header to #7 corner, but the centre back couldn’t keep his effort down and it sailed over Dibble’s goal on 37 minutes.

A minute before the break and after a corner was only half cleared, McIntosh set up a chance for Matt Sargent and the midfielder’s effort was well turned away by Wycherley to keep his team only one goal behind at the break.

Ht 0-1

A change for Telford at the break, saw the very experienced defender Keith Lowe sent on for Sutton.

The home side started the second half brightly with striker Diranga first forcing a save from Dibble and then hitting a low shot just wide.

It was then Wrexham’s turn to have a goal disallowed as JJ Hooper got a cross his marker to slot the ball home from six-yards, following a right-wing free kick – but he was denied by a linesman’s flag.

The Welsh defence then left Theo Streete alone at the back post for a corner and the big man’s header was well saved by Dibble.

On 58 minutes, Dibbs gave away a penalty when he clashed with Williams, who appeared to be going wide of the goal anyway. There wasn’t much contact, but enough for the referee to point to the spot.

Up stepped Diranga, but the Wrexham stopper kept up his good record of penalty saves by denying the striker and the ball was eventually cleared in the scramble that followed.

On the hour, a quartet of changes for both sides – Wrexham replaced Trialist A, Harris, McIntosh and Hooper, with Summerfield, Oswell, Grant and Rutherford.

Moments later and a lovely angled drive by Morley for Telford was equally well saved by Dibble, as he tipped the ball over his bar for a corner.

There was another escape for the Wrexham defence on 68 minutes, when following another corner substitute #15 show his close-range effort come off a post and into the arms of Dibble, following a scramble.

Another four changes on 70 minutes, with Trialist keeper, Beaumont, Pearson, Jennings and Wright on for Dibble, Carrington, Barton, Lawlor and Young.

The home side had enjoyed the better of the second period as they searched for an equaliser.

On 87 minutes, Rutherford’s ball in from the right fell for Grant to shot from 12-yards, but his effort was blocked by sub keeper and Oswell’s follow up to the rebound produced an even better save.

Not to be out done though, the follow up corner was taken down by Shaun Pearson, squared for Bobby Grant to fire home from inside the six-yard box – in front of the travelling fans.

A sastisfactory afternoon's run out against a team that will once again be looking to be amongst the promotion chasers in the Vanarama North.

AFC Telford United: Wycherley, White, Daniels, Deeney, Sutton (Lowe 46), Streete, Cowans, Walker, Williams, Diranga, Knights.
Subs: Braun, Addai, Lait, McQuilkn, Royle, Morley, Barnes-Homer, Lilly.

Wrexham: Dibble (Trialist B 70), Lawlor (Pearson 70), Barton (Beaumont 70), Carrington (Jennings 70), Trialist A (Rutherford 60), Young (Wright 70), Sargent, Thorn, Harris (Summerfield 60), Hooper (Oswell 60), McIntosh (Grant 60).
Subs: All used

Referee: A ()
Attendance: 927
Away: 348

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube