REPORT | AFC Telford United 3-1 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 21 Jul 2018

Wrexham fall to their first pre-season defeat of the campaign away at the New Bucks Head Stadium as they lose 3-1 to AFC Telford United.

The Dragons came into this game off the back of a 2-2 draw away at Nantport against Bangor City. Wrexham played a largely unchanged side with the vast number of Trialists not featuring as we edge closer to the season.

Wrexham started in the worst possible way as they went 1-0 down within the first 60 seconds as Daniel Udoh found himself one on one with Rob Lainton and he tucked the ball away with ease as some fans were still taking their seats.

After this start, the Dragons looked to calm the game down and try to play their football as Rutherford and Holroyd tried to break down the wing. Carrington popped up with a shot from 30 yards out which the keeper nearly spilled however the danger was evaded.

Despite this, Wrexham fell to 2-0 after the quarter of an hour mark with a corner pumped in by Knights being volleyed in at the back post by Shane Sutton as the hosts doubled their lead.

Six minutes later this could have been 3-0 as Udoh fires his shot just wide of the mark as Wrexham tried to regain their composure.

Just before the half, Wrexham halved the defecit as Mike Fondop headed into the corner of the net from a Paul Rutherford cross, making it four in four for him in Pre-Season.

Mike Fondop heads at the Telford goal

Second Half

Wrexham made two changes at half time as the trialist keeper and trialist right back came on for Lainton and Roberts respectively.

The Dragons looked positive in the opening exchanges of the second half as a corner from Summerfield is just missed by Manny Smith and the attack looked to control the game.

However, this did not last long as Telford restored their two-goal advantage over the Dragons, when Udoh found himself one-on-one with the keeper and he duly converted to make it 3-1 to AFC Telford United.

Wrexham did not feel sorry for themselves and looked to attack from the off.

Rutherford looked very lively and whipped a good ball into Summerfield on the edge of the box, his shot was stopped by Holroyd however he could not turn in time before the keeper cleared the ball.

Leo Smith replaced Carrington with 15 minutes to go, as Wrexham looked to reduce the defecit. He immediately makes an impact as he sets up Holroyd however his shot is straight at the keeper.

In the final exchanges, Wrexham looked to get a goal however the stubborn Telford defence held on for the 3-1 win.

Although a disappointing outcome, this is what Pre-Season is for and Wrexham can learn from mistakes made today and take it to their next game away on Tuesday night against Macclesfield Town at Moss Rose.

AFC Telford United: Martinez (Trialist 46), Streete, White, Deeney (Royle 60), Sutton (Lilley 80), D.Smith, Cowans, McQuilkin (#18 80), Brown (Morgan-Smith 60), Udoh (Ellis 80), Knights (Adams 65).
Subs: Barnes-Homer.

Wrexham: Lainton (Trailist 46), Roberts (Trailist 46), M.Smith, Wright, Jennings; Summerfield, Carrington (L Smith 72, Young; Rutherford, Fondop, Holroyd.
Subs: Tharme, Sargent.

Referee: G Rollason
Attendance: 784
Away: 300+

Wrexham supporters on the away terrace at AFC Telford United

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube