REPORT | Aldershot Town 0-0 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 22 Dec 2018

While it was another clean sheet on the road, it felt like two points dropped as the Dragons couldn’t push home their advantage against the home side.

Shots’ keeper Will Mannion made several important save to deny the visitors on a day when the ball just didn’t fall kindly for the Wrexham players in front of goal.

Boss Graham Barrow went with his 16 fit players at the Shots, with latest loan signing Ben Tollitt to be added to the squad over the Festive period once his ITC is through.

Injuries sidelined Manny Smith, Rekeil Pyke, Kevin Roberts and Doug Tharme, with Luke Young on the second of his three-match ban.

The Shots fielded a youth line-up for their midweek FA Trophy replay at Bedford, but were back to a more familiar side, adding in ex-Red Gerry McDonagh and Maidstone’s Alex Finney in recent weeks.

The first effort of the game fell to Stuart Beavon, who quickly latched onto a right-wing ball from Mark Carrington, but the offside flag thwarted him as his he fired an effort goalward.

On eight minutes, Walker got himself booked for body checking Regan Booty on the half way line.

A Wrexham corner on 15 minutes, saw some concern for the home side as they failed to clear the danger and Beavon’s over head effort was only half cleared before a follow up effort hit the side netting.

The Shots responded with a chance of their won two minute later as a right-wing cross fell for McDonagh inside the six-yard box, but he was quickly closed down.

But as Wrexham broke upfield they lost the ball and McDonagh headed towards the visitors’ goal again, before Shaun Pearson deflected it away, although Rob Lainton was still required to cut out a low cross.

Bobby Grant got sight of the home goal on 24 minutes, when running onto a Beavon pass, but from out wide on the right his left footed effort carried well beyond keeper Will Mannion’s back post.

On 37 minutes, the home survived a scare as an Akil Wright cross was worked back to James Jennings on the edge of the box, and his shot was deflected off two players before landing on the rook of the Shots’ net.

Wrexham then won the ball back in midfield and a four man move followed, ending with Paul Rutherford curling his effort in from the edge of the box, with keeper Mannion rooted to the spot it passed agonisingly wide of an upright.

This was a signal for the Welshmen to pin their hosts back in their own half – Wright and Beavon seeing shots blocked as the pressure was turned up.

As the game approached the break, a Beavon cross bounced through the Aldershot penalty area, with Luke Summerfield arriving at the back post, but just unable to apply the finishing touch.

Ht 0-0

The visitors started the second half well and Wright’s low shot from distance had Mannion happy to get his body behind the ball. Although the keeper was a little over confident when he try cleared it by letting the ball drop to the turf and Beavon closed him down, but the assistant said the ball had hit his hand on the edge of the box.

Wrexham continued to enough plenty pf possession and a cross from Rutherford was cut out by the keeper, diving forward to collect. Then a Carrington cross was aimed at the winger, but it carried too high for him in the middle.

McDonnell was carded for a foul on Grant after 58 minutes.

Two minutes later and Grant flicked the ball back to Beavon, whose angled shot was blocked by the legs of the home keeper.

Then Jennings put in a cross from deep on the left and while Beavon’s goal bound header was from 18-yards, it still had some power behind it.

Jennings was at it again moments later, as his high cross in was met by the head of Wright, who from six-yards forced a great save from Mannion.

Then at the other end, a quick breakaway by McDonagh saw the Irish striker pull his shot off target when well placed, coming in at the angle.

Next it was Summerfield who was away on the right and his cross in was aimed at Rutherford but was just knocked behind by a defender for a corner.

On 66 minutes, Beavon was replaced by Chris Holroyd.

Finney brought down Rutherford on the side of the box after 78 minutes, when it looked as if the Wrexham man had got the better of the centre back. Not that the free kick came to anything, as it just cannoned off a defender.

Wright skipped passed two markers continued in the home bocx, but his shot lacked power and was knocked behind for a corner.

Next up was Jennings’ effort from 20-yards that was straight at Mannion, but the keeper dropped the ball, turning in time to stop it crossing the line.

While Wrexham had the Lion’s share of possession, McDonagh did set them up with on last chance to snatch more than a point, but once again their shooting left plenty to be desired and the ball ended up high in the home terraces with two minutes to go.

Deep into added time and the hobbling Rutherford was replaced by Deverdics.

Aldershot Town: Mannion, Kinsella, McDonnell, Osborne (Lelan 76), McClure (R Grant 79), Wanadio, Gallagher, Booty, McCoy, McDonagh, Finney.
Subs: Cole, Bernard, Bozier.

Wrexham: Lainton, Carrington, Lawlor, Pearson, Jennings, Summerfield, Wright, Walker, Rutherford (Deverdics 90+2), Beavon (Holroyd 66), B Grant.
Subs: Dibble, Maguire-Drew, Fondop.

Referee: Richard Hulme (Somerset)
Attendance: 1,866
Away: 229

Bookings -
Aldershot: McDonnell (58, foul), McDonagh (82, foul)
Wrexham: Walker (8, foul), Summerfield (86, foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube