REPORT | Bangor City 2-2 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 17 Jul 2018

Two goals apiece in an entertaining friendly, as both teams used their full squads down by the Menai Straits.

Several injuries are not being pushed in pre-season, so both keepers sit this one out, while Kevin Roberts and Shaun Pearson are also rested.

A number of trialists will feature throughout the evening, while Doug Tharme is also included for the first time this summer.

After a tame opening period, the game sprung into life on 14 minutes, when Rekeil Pyke almost tookk advantage of some hesitant defending to latch onto the ball and head for goal, he was closed down by two defenders, but managed to get between them and force keeper Harry Pickering to block his shot at the expense of a corner.

As Wrexham started to enjoy more of the possession and pressure, Chris Holroyd brought a Luke Summerfield cross for Pyke, but a defender's outstretched leg denied him.

The opening goal arrived on 20 minutes, as Luke Young's through ball ran right into the path of Holroyd, who pushed forward another 10-yards before hitting an angled low drive into the far corner.

City were able to pull level three minutes later, as the trialist right back was judged to have fouled Yalany Baio as the pair jumped for a high ball.

Tom Field was handed the ball and made no mistake with his spotkick, hammering it inside the trialist keeper's right hand post.

Wrexham went back to the other end and Young's effort from distance wasn't that far wide, as it just curled away from the target. 

A Summerfield corner for the Reds on 31 minutes, saw Manny Smith make a powerful connection at the back post, but his effort was wide of the near post and flew behind.

Then moments later a back peddling Pyke saw his header, following a cross by Young, carry over the Bangor crossbar.

The visitors were moving the ball nicely through midfield, with Summerfield and Young pulling strings.

On 35 minutes, Akil Wright was left ruing a chance, as the ball sat up invitingly for him on the edge of the box and while he made a good connection, his shot was straight at Pickering and the Bangor keeper held onto the effort.

Holroyd then set up Summerfield for a shot from 25-yards that Pickering held above his head.

City made a probing attack down their right and Jacob Farleigh put over an inviting cross, but the Wrexham keeper grabbed the ball as he moved to his right in a crowded penalty area.

Then from wide on the left, Holroyd fired in a diagonal cross that the home keeper smothered inside his six-yard box, but it took a second attempt before he secured the ball.

Ht 1-1

There were five changes for the visitors at the break.

Mike Fondop was quickly out of the traps with a shot that stung the finger tips of the home keeper.

Then in concerted attached, Fondop laid the ball back for Nicky Deverdics to fire in a fierce shot from the edge of the box, blocked by Pickering, before the loose ball was played in again and eventually cleared.

All before a controversial moment, as Bangor's Baio, after being fouled, pushed the ball into Leo Smith's face. The referee sent the midfielder off, although on Sam Ricketts intervention, the referee allowed City to send on a substitutte to keep the game at 11-a-side.

An injury to Akil Wright saw scholar Matty Sargent take his place on 56 minutes.

Just as the Reds were about to bring on another raft of youngsters, it was a former Wrexham player who gave the Citizens the lead on 70 minutes.

As City pushed forward, Alex Darlington fired through a number of players to put the home side in front. 

There was a Wrexham leveller on 83 minutes, after great work by Leo Smith to claim the ball and then cross for striker Fondop to head home from six-yards, off the inside of a post. 

A third goal in three pre-season games for the former Guiseley man, much to the delight of the travelling Wrexham supporters in the crowd of just over 600 at the Bangor Stadium.

The game ran out to a draw, a workout that will have benefitted both teams.

Bangor City: Pickering, L Owens, Baio, Phillips, Field, Davies, Farleigh, Parry, Baker, A Jones, Dool.
Subs: L Jones (g/k), Darlington, McGurie, Thomas, K Owen, Boss, S Jones, Murphy, Chambers, Ashworth, Griffiths.

Wrexham: Trialist, Trialist (Robinson 71), M Smith (Beaumont 71), Tharme (Trialist 46), Jennings (Williams 71), Summerfield (Deverdics 46), Young (Carrington 46), Wright (Sargent 56), Rutherford (Pilkington 71), Pyke (Fondop 46), Holroyd (L Smith 46).
Sub: Tinkley (g/k).

Referee: Lee Evans (Llanrwst)
Attendance: 601

Booking -
Wrexham: Trialist (89, foul)

Sending-Off -
Bangor: Baio (54, violent conduct)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube