REPORT | Barnet 1-2 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 13 Apr 2019

It was one of those inspired substitutions, as Bryan Hughes’ decision to send on both Luke Summerfield and Jermaine McGlashan with seven minutes remaining and then one of your subs grabs the winner with his first touch!

After a goalless first half, Akil Wright put the Reds in front with a lovely header two minutes into the second period and while Shaquile brought the Bees level on 70 minutes, it only lead to late drama at the Hive – much to the delight of the 425 Wrexham fans cheering on their heroes.

The first chance of the afternoon fell to the Bees’ Craig Robson on five minutes, when a Barnet free kick was header away from the Wrexham goal, but the midfielder was well place to hit a first-time effort that carried in to the travelling fans behind Rob Lainton’s goal.

Two minutes later and Shaquile Coulthirst was then teed-up for a shot from 12-yards, but his effort was deflected and the Wrexham keeper was able to claim it.

The ball was moved straight to the other end, where Bobby Grant got the better of his marker, unleashing a shot that came back out, off the inside of a post and was cleared to safety by the home side.

Two minutes later, the Reds had a free kick that was delivered into the Barnet box and headed down for Stuart Beavon, but always stretching his shot was over the Bees’ crossbar from about 15-yards.

With Wrexham taking the game to their hosts, they still had some defending to do on 19 minutes, as the speedy Ephron Mason-Clark was away down to high right flank and sent in a good teasing cross that Kieran Kennedy did well to flick away with Coulthirst breathing down his neck.

Just after the half hour, the Reds were sweeping forward, with both Kevin Roberts and Paul Rutherford sending in crosses from the right. Although without finding a route to Mark Cousins in the home goal.

Ht 0-0

The second period was only two minutes old, when Akil Weight leapt highest to direct his header out of the reach of Cousins and the away fans were delighted to see it nestle in the back of the net in front of them.

It was another good cross in from Luke Yong on the right, which had set up the opportunity and the former Fleetwood man claimed his fifth goal of the season.

When Beavon was fouled on 52 minutes, Grant’s whipped in freekick had to be pushed away by the diving Cousins for the start of a series of Wrexham corners.

One of these saw Pearson lift the ball forward and while Beavon was able to get on the end of it and fire his shot against a post, the flag had been raised for offside against the striker.

First change of the day saw made by Darren Currie, as he sent on Jack Taylor for Dan Sweeney on 56 minutes.

Another freekick, after Ricardo Santos was booked for a foul on Chris Holroyd, saw Young deliver the ball from just inside their half, allowing Pearson to win another header at the back post, but this time, no red shirts were on hand to finish off.

More good work by the Welshmen on 62 minutes kept the Bees back in their own half and won another corner. This one though headed over.

Just before Dave Tarpey was sent on for Med Elito, the two Taylors combined for Barnet, with Jack heading wide from Harry’s cross.

There was a leveller for Barnet on 70 minutes, when another deep cross from Harry Taylor was met by the head of Coulthirst, who directed the ball under Lainton.

Grant was booked for fouling Elliott Johnson with 15 minutes remaining and then Jason Oswell replaced Beavon.

On 83 minutes, a double change for the Reds as both Jermaine McGlashan and Luke Summerfield replaced Grant and Rutherford respectively.

With his first touch, McGlashan touched the ball goalwards, after Holroyd had headed on a long pass and some how it bounced inside the far post to restore Wrexham’s lead. With the fans rushing down the step stand to salute the late strike.

Boucaud had a long-range effort for Barnet in the final minute of normal time, but it was always just high enough to take it over, then five minutes were added by the fourth official.

While the Bees pushed forward in a last attempt to get a point, the Reds held on and enjoyed their post-match celebrations with large contingent down from north Wales.

Barnet: Cousins, Johnson, Reynolds, Santos, Robson, Coulthirst, H Taylor, Boucaud, Elito (Tarpey 65), Sweeney (J Taylor 56), Mason-Clark (Fonguck 83).
Subs: Matrevics, Alexander.

Wrexham: Lainton, Roberts, Pearson, Kennedy, Carrington, Young, Wright, Rutherford (Summerfield 83), Grant (McGlashan 83), Beavon (Oswell 76), Holroyd.
Subs: Dibble, Jennings.

Referee: Tom Reeves (Warwickshire)
Attendance: 1,594
Away: 425

Bookings -
Santos (58, foul)
Wrexham: Grant (74, foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube