REPORT | Boreham Wood 0-2 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 19 Feb 2019

It was a fine piece of management to extend Ben Tollitt’s loan from Tranmere Rovers for a final month, as the winger helped himself to a pair of goals in the second half to send the Reds to the top of the table, before another long trip on Saturday.

The Wood came into this game on the back of a 4-0 home defeat to Hartlepool United and would have been looking to restore some lost pride.

The early exchanges were fairly event, with new boy Ralston Gabriel stretching the visitors’ defence on eight minutes, before skipper for the night Mark Carrington eased him off the ball and cleared up field.

The Reds twice pushed behind the home back line, once down either flank and won a corner on both occasions.

With Wrexham rightly appealing for a hand ball in the Boreham Wood end of the pitch on 24 minutes, the home side launched a long pass forward for Gabriel to use his undoubted pace to chase, holding off Jake Lawlor and firing a low effort from the edge of the box that Rob Lainton touched away for a corner

As the corner came in, Carrington was left in a heap on the ground and the referee blew up to allow treatment. Kieran Kennedy was already in the dugout getting a cut to his head looked at, with Nicky Deverdics taking over swabbing duties as Physio Phil Davies was needed on the pitch.

The restart annoyed the home manager was not best pleased as the ball was returned to them deep in their own half and ran out for a throw in…

From a Boreham Wood corner, Jamal Fyfield’s header was caught by Lainton, but his clearance was charged down by centre half Manny Parry, which earned him a booking on 34 minutes.

After a three man move down the right on 39 minutes, James Jennings chipped over the top, looking for Jason Oswell’s run, but on this occasion it just ran away from the striker.

Another sweeping attack, two minutes later, saw Luke Young cross to the back post, where Carrington’s header was tipped away by Ray Hubbart for the Wood.

On the stroke of half time, Brad Walker managed to retain the ball following two challenges and then unleashed a fierce effort from 18-yards that deflected just inches wide.

As the right-wing corner came in, Kennedy’s firm header was bundled round a post by the home keeper.

Ht 0-0

The second period started with a quick break by the home team, and as the ball spun loose on the edge of the Wrexham area, Kieran Murtagh’s shot was charged dwn by Brad Walker.

First hange of the night came on 54 minutes, as Justin Shaibu came on for recent recruit  

That signalled the opening goal, as a ball into the home back was block as Oswell went for it, but it broke kindly for Tollitt to pick his spot from 10-yards.

The Scouser was straight across to the hundreds of Wrexham fans at that end to celebrate in some style.

Moments later, Oswell got a push in the back from Parry as the pair jumped for a right-wing cross, but despite the travelling fans screaming for a penalty the referee let play go on.

It immediately switched to the other end, where the Wrexham defence was caught square and Walker got carded for a foul that stopped the action. He took me for the team.

But a second goal arrived on 64 minutes and Tollitt grabbed it with a cool finish across Hubbart. This came after some fiery tackling, but the Reds retained possession and Oswell’s touch out to the left gave Tollitt the time and space to extend Wrexham’s advantage.  

A few minutes later and Wright’s powerful run down the left ended with a great pull back for Oswell, and with the goal at his mercy, the striker was unfortunate to fire over the bar.

But the Wood were not laying down ad Lainton produced a great one-on-one block to deny Thomas.

Cole Stockton came on for Oswell after 70 minutes and seven minutes later, Chris Holroyd was sent on for Tollitt.

With Boreham Wood having to push forward, fresh legs were only going to help catch them a little thin at the back.

On one such occasion, Holroyd’s cross from the left found the head of Wright in front of goal, who got his effort on target, but it was held by Hubbart.

A Wood corner was headed around the Wrexham box and ended with Lainton tipping over Kanu’s effort.

Stockton missed a chance to add a third in added time, when he left his mark on the ground, but his chip from a tight angle was caught by the Wood keeper.

The final minutes were played out for a second vital away win of the week.

Boreham Wood: Hubbart, Ilesanmi, Ricketts, Parry, Shakes (Ash 68), Champion, Gabriel (Shaibu 54), Murtagh, Fyfield, Thomas, Kanu.
Subs: Legg, Woodwards Ugwu.

Wrexham: Lainton, Carrington, Kennedy, Lawlor, Jennings, Wright, Young, Walker, Rutherford, Oswell (Stockton 70), Tollitt (Holroyd 77).
Subs: Dibble, Tharme, Deverdics. 

Referee: Adrian Quelch (Dorset)
Attendance: 645
Away: 243

Bookings -
Boreham Wood:
Parry (34, foul)
Wrexham: Walker (57, foul)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube