REPORT| Braintree Town 0-1 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 08 Sep 2018

It might not have been the performance the manager would have liked, but it certainly was the result he was after, as the Reds ground out another important away win.

Captain Shaun Pearson was the match winner with his second half header from a Luke Summerfield corner and it sent the 300+ Welsh supporters home happy

There is a first league start for loan signing Brad Walker, while Mark Carrington misses out due to injury.

An early injury to Rob Lainton, as he landed heavily when coming for a high ball, delayed play for a few minutes, but the keeper was able to continue after treatment from physio Phil Davies.

First corner of the game went to Wrexham on 12 minutes, and while it was played back to Luke Young on the edge of the box, his first-time effort was scuffed.

The ball went immediately to the other end, where Lainton cleared long from the edge of his box, but was caught by the on-rushing striker and needed more attention.

On 17 minutes, James Jennings and Luke Summerfield combined well on the left following a Wrexham throw in and crossed deep for Jordan Maguire-Drew at the back post, with his looping header landing on the roof of the Braintree net.

There was another extended stoppage on 19 minutes, as Lainton required more treatment for the previous injury.

A Wrexham corner on 23 minutes, was flicked on by Stuart Beavon and headed goalwards by Pearson, but a little over the target on this occasion.

Approaching the half hour mark and a teasing cross from the home left by Mohamed Bettamer saw Dan Thompson just short of making contact at the back post.

It was then Justin Amaluzar who gave Pearson a hard time with the ball at his feet, before sending in a low shot from 18-yards, that has Lainton diving to his right to push it away.

The travelling Wrexham supporters then saw a long clearance by Lainton headed down into the path of Young, but his rising shot from outside the box, whistled over the cross bar.

Another crunching tackle, this time on Beavon by Kodi Lyons-Foster saw a free kick, but no more, then from the restart a header landed at the feet of Jordan Maguire-Drew, although his effort was another that didn’t worry Ben Killip in the Braintree goal.

The same player was on the end of a Summerfield free kick pm 37 minutes, but this time his effort from closer in was straight into Killip’s hands.

This led to another series of attacks, as first Ricky Gabriel headed away from his own goal, but then Mike Fondop got in between the two centre halves, although his header carried over the bar.

Despite losing the ball at a throw in, Wrexham regained possession and as Walker chased the ball into the home penalty area he clashed with Dave Nieskins, but the referee decided it was just a tangle of legs and nothing more than a goal kick.

With Wrexham lifting the pace, the next attack saw Beavon get on the end of a bouncing ball but his dipping shot from 20-yards was taken by Killip.

As the 45 minutes ended, Maguire-Drew sent in a low cross that saw Beavon and Killip challenge for at the near post, with the keeper coming out the winner.

A free kick deep into added time, for a foul on Fondop, saw Jennings take the kick from a central position 25-yards out, but it was blocked by the home keeper.

Then the same player was carded for shooting at goal from 30-yards, having been blown up for being well offside – a silly yellow.

Ht 0-0

From the restart, Braintree kindly gave the ball straight to Luke Young and while he fed in Fondop, the striker was unable to take the pass in his stride and the home side survived the scare.

The striker was then fortunate enough not to get a second yellow, as he seemed to handle the ball on the half way line, an offence that did draw a free kick for the home side.

That dead ball was quickly cleared by Wrexham and Maguire-Drew spotted Killip well off his line and fired a ball from the half way line, but it cleared his crossbar.

Fondop then got involved with the Iron left back and while the home player went down, there didn’t seem much in it, but not surprisingly big Mike was replaced by Rekeil Pyke on 51 minutes, before he was sent for an early bath.

As play restarted, Lainton was then called into action, to tip away a low shot from Bettamer.

The locals gained a free kick on their right, 20-yards out from the Wrexham line and Thompson’s diving header wasn’t far off target.

A quick Wrexham free kick on 59 minutes, saw Beavon deliver from the right and Pyke’s header was deflected away for a corner.

On the hour, Young was replaced by Paul Rutherford.

There was a yellow card for Jake Lawlor on 63 minutes, when a ball over the top threatened to let Thompson run at goal and the defender nudged him over.

Killip’s quick thinking denied Pyke three minutes later, as he raced from his line to block the Huddersfield man’s effort after pressing by Wrexham had forced a mistake in the home ranks.

But it mattered little as from the resulting Summerfield corner, Pearson rose highest to thunder home his header in front of the travelling Wrexham supporters.

Players and fans celebrated together in deepest Essex.

Then, as to remind all present that they were far from a spent force, a swift and flowing Braintree attack worked Bettamer into a good position on the left, but the winger’s effort flew high over the social club and hit the flats behind the home goal.

Pyke was caught offside, only just, but he then kicked the ball away and received our third caution of the afternoon.

As Braintree pushed on as the minutes counted down, Pyke and Rutherford combined well on our left to fire a tempting cross into the middle. Maguire-Drew collected from the right wing and fired in another cross from the opposite flank, but the home side survived.

A great ball by Pearson, over the top, set Beavon away and Braintree had to block several efforts before conceding a deep throw in. This ended when Jennings’ shot from 20-yards looped up and was collected by Killip.

Rutherford took a yellow for the team on 87 minutes and the free kick was cleared.

In the 89th minute, Akil Wright replaced Walker, who had a decent debut for the Reds.

As we entered added time, Kevin Roberts was on hand to clear for a throw in, that lead to a corner, but was followed by a Wrexham free kick, as keeper Killip came up to join his team mates.

After the ball was held up in the Braintree half, the final whistle sounded, and the Wrexham players could celebrate the win with the ranks of supporters who had followed them south.

Braintree Town: Killip, James, Ellul, Nieskins, Gabriel (Grant 82), Lyons-Foster, Allen (Crook 64), Thompson (Charles 72), Amaluzar, Bettamer, Sogaf.
Subs: Clark, Webber.

Wrexham: Lainton, Roberts, Lawlor, Pearson, Jennings, Summerfield, Walker (Wright 89), Young (Rutherford 61), Beavon, Fondop (Pyke 51), Maguire-Drew.
Subs: Dibble, Holroyd.

Referee: Adrian Quelch (Dorset)
Attendance: 802
Away: 255 (That was through the away turnstiles, but plenty more came through the home terraces and walked round to the away end…)

Bookings -
Wrexham: Fondop (45+4, time wasting), Lawlor (63, foul), Pyke (75, time wasting), Rutherford (87, foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube