REPORT | Chester 0-1 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Wed 08 Nov 2017

Shaun Pearson is the latest legend to score a Wrexham winner in the cross border derby, as his powerful header on the cusp of half tine was enough to settle this contest.

The game at the Deva kicked off 15 minutes late due to congestion on the approaches to the stadium and even started with hundreds of empty seats in the away end.

In the first few minutes, a through ball by the home side evaded both Chris Dunn and Jordan Archer, but Manny Smith was on hand to tidy up can clear the ball from inside the six-yard box.

From a Chester corner on five minutes, a deep ball was played to the unmarked Jordan Gough, but despite having plenty of time, the full back couldn’t direct his header anywhere near the danger zone from 15-yards out.

Chris Holroyd almost had our first chance on 14 minutes, when from a deep throw in tricked his way round three defenders, but just as the goal came into sight the ball ran away from him.

The striker was again on the end of a free kick by Dunn, but although the effort was on target from a tight angle, but it lacked the power to worry Chester keeper Alex Lynch.

Wrexham's Chris Dunn takes a high cross

On 23 minutes, a high ball in to the Wrexham box was claimed by Dunn, but the referee indicated a foul on the keeper as he lost possession under pressure from two blue shirts.

Moments later, Marcus Kelly cut a pass on the halfway line and started to motor down the left wing, only for the chasing Reece Hall-Johnson to pull a hamstring as he gave chase. Despite treatment he was replaced by Paul Turnbull on 27 minutes.

A nice sweeping move from the Blues four minutes later, saw the carve open the Wrexham defence as Ross Hannah played a diagonal ball aimed at Jordan Archer and the recently signed striker won his header, but placed the ball wide from six-yards.

There seemed to be a let off for Wrexham just after the half hour mark, as from a long throw in the ball appeared to hit Holroyd’s raised arms, as helped out in defence.

It was the Reds who took the lead on 43 minutes, when captain fantastic Shaun Pearson arrived on the end of Kelly’s right-wing corner to send his header passed all the home defenders and into the back of the Chester net.

Think he enjoyed his moment in spotlight, with a knee slide of epic proportions to celebrate.

Wrexham's Shaun Pearson celebrates his goal at Chester

Ht 0-1

Five minutes in the second half and Wedgbury could count himself fortunate that his ‘robust’ challenge on Turnbull in the home penalty area, only earned himself a yellow card.

There was a change for Wrexham on 54 minutes, when James Jennings went down holding his thigh and was replaced by Mark Carrington.

Chester were raising the ante on the hour and Dunn could only look on as Lucas Dawson’s thundering effort from 12yards came back of the foot of his right-hand post and rebounded into play.

The home side went close again midway through the second half as James Akintunde effort from distance skimmed the Wrexham cross bar, although Dunn did have it covered had it come any lower.

Scott Boden was then introduced for Massanka on 67 minutes.

There were hopeful calls for a home penalty as Archer went ground on 73 minutes, but few of his team mates joined in with the shouts.

Chris Holroyd on the ball at Chester

Dean Keates then sent on Jack Mackreth for Kelly, who had had storming game in the middle for the Reds.

Pearson was at it again with 10-minute remaining, as he got on the end of a corner, but this time his header ended up in the grateful arms of Lynch.

Four added minutes were indicated.

Finally, the full time whistle was blown – no guessing who was wearing the biggest grins…

Chester: Lynch, Halls, Rowe-Turner, Astles, Gough, James (Zanzala 88), Dawson, Akintunde (White 83), Hall-Johnson (Turnbull 27), Hannah, Archer.
Subs: Vaughan, Bell.

Wrexham: Dunn, Roberts, M Smith, Pearson, Jennings (Carrington 54), Rutherford, Wright, Wedgbury, Kelly (Mackreth 75), Massanka (Boden 67), Holroyd.
Subs: Dibble, Reid.

Referee: Bramall (Sth Yorkshire)
Attendance: 4,079
Away: 1,156

Bookings -
Chester: Archer (18, foul)
Wrexham: Wedgbury (50, foul), Pearson (90, dissent)

Photogtaphs courtesey of Alun Roberts (AJAR Photographics)

Paul Rutherford celebrates in the crowd at Chester

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube