REPORT | Curzon Ashton 0-2 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 20 Jul 2019

By Tom Barlow

Leighton McIntosh’s penalty and Jason Oswell’s late goal earned Wrexham their third victory of the pre-season programme at Curzon Ashton.

McIntosh broke the deadlock in the second half, before Oswell sealed victory late on with a tap-in from close range.

Curzon Ashton had threatened early on with Michael Elstone hitting the crossbar, but that seemed to help Wrexham focus and settle in the game.

The Wrexham side that started the game was almost a completely new eleven from the 3-1 lose to the Championships Stoke City. Devonte Redmond returned after a short spell out injured.

Bryan Hughes also returned to the traditional four at the back after using a three-man defence for three games on the bounce.

This young side saw Bobby Beaumont and Pat Jones start the game among their senior counterparts.

Curzon Ashton started the game the brighter of the two sides, with their quick football and pressing putting Wrexham under pressure.

Elstone’s long-range effort kissed the crossbar in the eighth minute, with Christian Dibble rooted on his line.

A nice spread of play from Redmond saw Mark Carrington find Jones in the box; who curled the ball over the bar in the 12th minute.

Wrexham started to settle into the game at this point, as they strung together some attacking phases

Wrexham won a corner in the 14th minute and Luke Young’s deep cross found Beaumont free at the back post, but his header landed straight into Cameron Mason’s hands.

Elstone teed up former Wrexham captain Robbie Evans with a low header in the 17th minute, whose drilled shot was cleared off the line by Doug Tharme.

Redmond’s quick thinking in the 20th minute saw his shot fire wide, after Tharme’s short free-kick.

McIntosh then whipped in a vicious ball to the running Carrington who volleyed wide on 26 minutes.

Minutes later, McIntosh swivelled and launched the ball over from the edge of the box, after a good ball from Young.

Curzon were struggling at this point to keep the ball, after relentless Wrexham pressure, but Ashton’s promising Banister whipped his free kick over the Wrexham bar from 20 yards on 36 minutes.

On 41 minutes, Oswell laid off Beaumont's ball to Young, who split Curzon’s defence. McIntosh then had his first shot blocked by the defender and his next was scuffed wide.

The away side survived some late pressure at the end of the half with the score remaining 0-0.

Wrexham started the second-half unchanged, while Curzon made one change following an injury to Josh Askew, with Jack Sloan coming on.

Jones crossed for Oswell and McIntosh in the box on 53 minutes, before Young calmly took the ball under pressure and Moussa Samassa brought him down.

McIntosh stepped up to take the penalty and buried it into the bottom right corner, with Mason coming close to pushing the ball out. 1-0 Wrexham.

Wrexham made their first change in the 54th minute, with their trialist keeper coming on for Dibble.

Jack Thorn tackled Kallum Mantack deep in the Ashton half and his shot is drilled wide on 60 minutes.

Two minutes later, Wroe sliced his volley over, after a Beaumont headed clearance. Ashton then made a double substitution with Jack Worrall and Isaac Sinclair replacing Elstone and Luke Merrill.

With Redmond still returning from injury, he was replaced by Mark Harris on 63 minutes.

Harris’ first play was a deep cross to McIntosh, whose header agonisingly bounced past the post in the 72nd minute.

Former Wrexham player Robbie Evans’ eyes lit up as he ran towards goal, but his shot was skied over the back terrace 78 minutes in.

Oswell doubled the lead on 84 minutes, however - Harris tried a long range effort which was parried out by the substitute keeper Liam Lovell straight to him, to bury his effort into the bottom left hand corner.

Towards the 90 minute mark, a ball was hit across the Wrexham penalty area and Sloan’s shot fell straight in the trialist keeper’s hands as the Dragons held on to win and record another clean sheet.

Curzon Ashton: (4-1-4-1): Mason (Lovell 83), Cooke (Wallen 69’), Askew (Sloan 46’), Evans, Shaw, Samassa, Mantack, Wroe (Butterworth 72’), Elstone (Worrall 62’), Merrill (Sinclair 62’), Banister

Subs not used:

Wrexham AFC: (4-3-3): Dibble (Trialist A 54’), Carrington, Beaumont, Tharme, Thorn, Young, Sargent, Jones, Redmond (Harris 68’), McIntosh, Oswell

Subs not used: Jennings, Pearson, Lawlor, Summerfield, Grant, Rutherford, 

Referee: Tom Parsons

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube