REPORT | Dagenham & Redbridge 1-2 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 13 Oct 2018

Wrexham picked up a vital three points on the road by seeing off a gallant Daggers side with goals from Luke Young and Luke Summerfield, the second a penalty.

The home side did equalise, but even that came from a Wrexham player, as Brad Walker appeared to put the ball passed his own keeper, when employed as a make shift centre half, following an injury to Jake Lawlor.

The first action came on five minutes, as Brad Walker twice put his body in the way of shots from the Daggers, as the home side laid siege to the visitors’ goal. One that was only ended when Mark Carrington headed the ball behind for a corner that was hooked clear by Walker.

A Stuart Beavon chip over the top allowed Rekeil Pyke to beat the offside trap but goalkeeper Elliott Justham raced five-yards outside of his area to just beat the Huddersfield Town loanee to the ball.

The early onslaught from the home team seeed to have been stemmed as Wrexham won a series of corners, with the locals pinned back in their own area.

A Walker shot and several melees around the six-yard box had the decent travelling support in good voice as they urged the players on.

Jordan Maguire-Drew almost took advantage of a loose ball that came to him off a defender, when his first-time effort from 25-yards was pushed away by the diving Justham on 26 minutes.

Before Walker hooked his overhead kick wide from eight yards after the ball was headed down at a corner and then Pyke’s shot from the edge of the box drifted just wide – all this before the half hour mark.

On 35 minutes, Beavon’s flick header let in Maguire-Drew for a first-time shot that went in to the side netting, although the referee generously awarded us a corner. Not that we could take advantage of this decision, as an assistant’s flag eventually caught us offside.

Having received treatment a few minutes earlier for a knock to his ankle, centre half Jake Lawlor made way for Akil Wright on 41 minutes – Walker switched to partner Shaun Pearson, while Wright slotted into midfield.

The stalemate was broken on 44 minutes, when Luke Young picked up the ball in front of the main stand, and from at least 25-yards out unleashed an unstoppable effort that flew into the top right-hand corner with Justham grasping at thin air.

Then, as the game restarted, and the announcer was giving out the extra minutes in the first half, a scramble in the Wrexham box seemed to end with Walker knocking the ball passed Rob Lainton, leaving everyone to look on as it slowly rolled crossed the line for the Dagenham leveller.

Ht 1-1

Six minutes in the second half, Akil Wright’s drilled shot from the edge of the box struck the cross bar and went behind – the referee indicating that the keeper had got a touch and awarded a corner.

A double change for Dagenham on 56 minutes, as Jack Munns and Lamar Reynolds replaced McQueen and Harfield.

Shortly afterwards ad good work by Akil Wright saw him thread the ball through to Pyke on the edge of the box, in turn his pass found Maguire-Drew, who was under pressure, but still made contact, although his effort flew the wrong side of the post.

Substitute Reynolds then forced a low save out of Lainton, as the keeper pushed the ball round a post.

On the hour, Mike Fondop was sent on for Maguire-Drew, the former Daggers striker obviously disappointed not to score on his return to Victoria Road, but he had put in a good shift.

A penalty on 68 minutes was converted by Luke Summerfield, with a low shot under the diving Justham to restore the lead for the Reds.

This came about after Roberts had his heels clipped from behind by Reynolds and the referee pointed to the spot.

It could have been even better a minute later, as Fondop was played in on the corner of the box, but with the home keeper stranded off his line, the big striker lost his footing and with it the chance to make a telling impact.

With the travelling fans still celebrating, home forward Shamir Mullings got the better of Walker over a high bouncing ball on the edge of the Wrexham box, but after spinning to face goal, he dragged his effort well wide from 18-yards.

Then down at the other end a great cross by Beavon seemed to be on a plate for both Fondop and Pyke, but neither could get a touch inside the six-yard box, as the opening went begging.

With 12 minutes to go, Paul Rutherford was introduced for Beavon, a fresh pair of legs for the hard-working Coventry City man.

Fondop did force a good save out of Justham, with a shot from the edge of the box, after creating space for himself.

Lainton pulled off a save at his near post following a Daggers corner as the clock counted down, with he home side throwing bodies forward.

Rutherford was denied a goal, when he chipped the advancing Justham, only for full back Liam Gordon to get a toe to the ball and divert it away for a corner, as he collided with an upright on 89 minutes.

The same player was onto a pass from Fondop, deep into added time, but he pulled this effort across the face of the home goal.

Happily, it didn’t matter as we claimed the points in east London on a day when several of our rivals slipped up.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham, Nunn (Kandi 80), Gordon, Robinson, Pennell, McQueen (Munns 56), Romain, W Wright, Harfield (Reynolds 56), Bellamy, Mullings.
Subs: Moore, Hoyte.

Wrexham: Lainton, Roberts, Lawlor (A Wright 41), Pearson, Carrington, Summerfield, Walker, Young, Pyke, Maguire-Drew (Fondop 59), Beavon (Rutherford 78).
Subs: Dibble, Deverdics.

Referee: David Rock (Herts)
Attendance: 1,601
Away: 321



arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube