REPORT | Dover Athletic 2-1 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 10 Aug 2019

For the second time in a week, goals conceded in injury time at the end of the game have cost us dear.

On this occasion, the Reds had lead through Mark Harris’ well taken effort, before Bobby Grant saw red for kicking back at home keeper Lee Worgan.

Down to 10-men, the Welshmen battled hard after the break, but even after conceding an equaliser to substitute Ricky Modeste, they still looked good for a point, until Inih Effiong’s winner with 90 minutes on the clock.

After some early pressure from the home side, which included Christian Dibble pulling off a smart save to deny Inih Effiong, Wrexham took the lead on 36 minutes.

A ball down the middle was headed on by JJ Hooper, allowing Devonte Redmond to steer it into the path of Mark Harris, with the Cardiff man facing down Lee Worgan in the home goal and sending his effort inside the far post for his second goal of the week.

The moment the game changed though was to be on 42 minutes, when Grant was sent off for kicking out at the home keeper, despite claiming he was initially knocked by Worgan.

Well into the added six minutes at the end of the half, Josh Passley cross was met by the head of Gobern, with Dibble making the save. The ball did though run for Effiong, but as the big man shaped to finish off from close range, Shaun Pearson threw his body in to the path of the shot and deflect the ball away.

Ht 0-1

After watching how Dover were setting themselves up for the second period, the manager sent on Michael Chambers and Paul Rutherford for Harris and Redmond respectively.

This allowed Wrexham to switch to three centre backs, with Mark Carrington mong into midfield and Rutherford out wide on the right.

A left-wing cross from Aaron Simpson was met at the back post by Alfie Pavey, but the striker’s header was only down into the ground, which allowed Dibble to collect.

There was then a double change for Dover as Gobern made way for Nassim L’Ghoul and Steven Rigg was replaced by Ricky Modeste on 62 minutes.

A rare Wrexham raid on 68 minutes, saw JJ Hooper chase the ball out towards a corner flag and Worgan raced out of his box to cover, but it was a risky move as the Wrexham man almost won the ball.

There was a Wrexham free kick, following clever play by Rutherford, with Luke Summerfield floating the cross in and Chambers getting a header goalwards that did run wide, but still will have made the Dover defence be aware that they needed to hold some men back.

But it was the two substitutes who got the Whites back in the game on 73 minutes, as L’Ghoul crossed deep and Modeste darted in at the back post to plant his firm header into the back of the Wrexham net for the equaliser.

The Reds went on the attack and Hoppers teasing cross was put behind for a corner by Kevin Lokko. The resulting corner saw Summerfield send the ball over and Pearson did meet it well, but the effort carried just over the crossbar.

L’Ghoul was at it again on 79 minutes, with another testing cross that found Pavey, but his contact wasn’t clean and Dibble was able to collect.

The Reds did have chance two minutes later, as Summerfield combined with Rutherford on the right to square his pass into the box – but the hoe defence were able to scramble it clear.

As the ball switched to the Wrexham half, the two substitutes combined once again and Dibble was forced to come off his line to dive at the feet of Modeste and make sure the shot went wide.

Wrexham’s final change came with four minutes remaining and saw Jason Oswell introduced for the hard-working Hooper.

Dover fans at the home end thought they had winner on 88 minutes as Pavey’s low cross went into the Wrexham six-yard box and Effiong appeared to only need to touch it home, but this he failed to achieve.

Just as the board was raised for an additional five minutes to be played, a cross from the left was met by the head of Effiong and this time he didn’t miss from six yards to put his side into the lead.

Dover Athletic: Worgan, Passley, Lokko, De Havilland, Woods, Effiong, Munns (Cumberbatch 77), Pavey, Gobern (L’Ghoul 62), Rigg (Modeste 62), Simpson.
Subs: Mersin, Reason.

Wrexham: Dibble, Carrington, Lawlor, Pearson Jennings, Summerfield, Redmond (Rutherford 53), Young, Grant, Hooper (Oswell 86), Harris (Chambers 53).
Subs: Szczepaniak, McIntosh.

Referee: Paul Howard
Attendance: 1,187
Away: 171

Sending Off -
Wrexham: Grant (43, Violent conduct)

Bookings -
Dover Athletic:
Woods (31, foul), Passley (82, foul)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube