REPORT | FC Halifax Town 0-0 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 03 Oct 2017

Wrexham fought out another draw, this time at the Shay as they stretched their unbeaten run with a clean sheet in front of 521 travelling supporters in West Yorkshire.

The only change for the Reds was Sam Wedgbury returning after suspension for the injured Akil Wright, although goalkeeper Chris Dunn was fit enough to take his place on the bench.

Two early attacks by Wrexham saw the first win a corner and then Alex Reid drive to the line and hit a low cross that was taken by keeper Sam Johnson.

After being sent back from a quickly taken thrown in on six minutes, James Jennings took the second effort short from 30-yards and picked up the return before unleashing an effort that at least forced Johnson into a low save.

On 12 minutes, a swift passing move by the visitors saw them work their way through the home ranks and up to Reid, who held his man off and hit a shot from 18 yards that Johnson took in his midriff.

A booking for Wedgbury two minutes later, as his challenged for the ball on our right and clashed with Matty Kosylo.

From the restart, the ball bounced out to midfielder Alan Morgan and from 25 yards his vicious effort was turned away in fine style by Luke Coddington, diving to his left.

Reid was tripped up 30 yards from the Halifax goal, but the resulting free kick was only driven into the defensive wall.

There was a yellow card for David Lynch on 32 minutes, for taking down Jennings 22 yards from goal. Holroyd took and forced a very decent save from Johnson, diving to his right.

Jennings joined Wedgbury in the book on 37 minutes, under the totting up procedure says the referee!

The free kick was cleared by Wrexham and Kelly set Reid in with a lovely weighted pass that Halifax skipper Matty Brown was happy to get boot to and put behind for a corner.

One flag kick led to a second but the Shaymen were able to clear their lines.

Holroyd was next to try his luck, taking the ball with his back to goal on the corner of the box, spinning round and firing a shot that flew behind the far upright.

Ht 0-0

Four minutes a after the restart Kelly’s quick feet saw him accelerate from his marker and

Reid then robbed the ball in midfield and broke away, before slipping a pass to his left for Holroyd, but the striker looked to switch to his right foot and was closed down, although he  finally fire a shot at Johnson.

Jennings saw an effort that took a wicked deflection, leaving the home keeper flat footed as the ball looped onto the roof of his net for a corner.

On 55 minutes, Kelly thread a pass through the Halifax back line and although stretching Reid got a foot to the ball 15-yards out, but fired his effort high over the home bar.

Another Wrexham corner saw Kelly play it inform the right and although Holroyd guided the ball on with a neat header, no one was able to take advantage at the back post. Indeed, the Shaymen broke up field before Shaun Pearson was able to back and avert the danger.

As the action switched from end-to-end, after Holroyd’s ball into the box was well held by Johnson, the keeper started a Halifax raid that was halted by Pearson bringing down Kosylo and earning himself a caution.

The free kick was taken by Connor Oliver, but he was another unable to hit the target.

First sub of the night came on 69 minutes, with Ntumba Massanka replacing Reid.

A nice back heel from Carrington allowed Kelly to cut inside behind him and sprint through the middle, before slipping a ball in behind for Tums, but the striker was crowded out before he could take a shot.

Next yellow went to Tom Denton for crashing into Wedgbury on 77 minutes.

With 10 minutes remaining, Jack Mackreth was brought on for Rutherford and two minutes later Scott Boden replaced Holroyd.

Denton then got on the end of free kick and forced a corner with his header off Pearson.

A cross by McManus was meet by the head of sub Ben Tomlinson, but Coddington was equal to the task tipping the effort over for a corner.

As Halifax ramped up the pressure in the closing stages, a Wrexham clearance fell into the path of the on rushing Kosylo, who blazed his chance high into the Yorkshire sky.

Into added time and Kosylo looked to have broken clear from distance, but as he bore down on the Wrexham box, Pearson made a game saving tackle to deny the nippy winger.

Next it was Adam Morgan’s turn to go down in the Wrexham area under pressure from Kevin Roberts, but the referee waved play on.

FC Halifax Town: Johnson, Wilde, Brown, Kosylo, Hotte, McManus, Morgan, Denton, Oliver, MacDonald (Tomlinson 74), Lynch (Moyo 90).
Subs: Clarke, Nicholson, Charles.

Wrexham: Coddington, Roberts, M Smith, Pearson, J Jennings, Rutherford (Mackreth 80), Carrington, Wedgbury, Kelly, Reid (Massanka 69), Holroyd (Boden 82).
Subs: Coddington, Hurst.

Referee: Marc Edwards (Tyneside)
Attendance: 2,136
Away: 521

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube