REPORT | FC Halifax Town 0-4 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 13 Apr 2021

Jordan Davies scored a first-half hat-trick as resurgent Wrexham ran riot at The Shay to beat play-off rivals Halifax Town.

Davies scored three times in the first 35 minutes, and Dior Angus also netted in a dominant first-half display as Wrexham returned to winning ways.

It meant the Coedpoeth-born ace became the first Wrexham player to score a hat-trick since Chris Holroyd and the first to do it in the first-half since Juan Ugarte in 2005.

Wrexham made three changes after the heavy home defeat to Stockport County, with Gold Omotayo making his first Wrexham start against his former club.

Captain Shaun Pearson also returned to the starting line-up, in place of Reece Hall-Johnson, and Paul Rutherford started ahead of Dan Jarvis.

Keanu Marsh-Brown dropped to the bench with Hall-Johnson and Jarvis, while Devonte Redmond was also in the 16.

As with the last three matches, Wrexham were straight onto the front foot, with Omotayo laying off for striker partner Dior Angus in the first minute, whose low effort was comfortable for Sam Johnson.

Angus then did well to hold up the ball under pressure on three minutes, to allow Paul Rutherford to run in, but Johnson parried wide.

Unlike the previous three matches, however, this time the early pressure paid off – from the result Reckord corner, Davies stooped low at the near post to score with a glancing header.

Niall Maher was the first Halifax player to test Christian Dibble, meanwhile – the Wrexham keeper tipping wide the midfielder’s low, 20-yard effort.

Angus could have doubled the lead on 14 minutes, however – Rutherford found behind the midfield but, after a lung-busting run to overlap him, Angus shot too close to Johnson, who saved with his legs.

Davies then almost added a second on 19 minutes, after a free-kick was only half-cleared, but his vicious volley was bravely blocked by Nathan Clarke.

The pressure told three minutes later, however – Omotayo headed Fiacre Kelleher’s long ball into Angus’ path and this time the striker made no mistake with a low finish across goal.

Angus was in again on 24 minutes, breaking through a challenge to get into the box, but his low shot was deflected wide with Reckord well-placed at the back post.

Davies scored his second on 32 minutes, winning a tackle in midfield, beating a defender and rounding the keeper to score from a tight angle.

The Coedpoeth assassin saved his best for his third three minutes later, however – after another Omotayo header, Davies fired a superb left-footed volley into the top corner to seal his hat-trick.

With rampant Wrexham four-up at the break, Halifax shuffled their pack at the interval and Martin Woods replaced Tom Bradbury.

The Shaymen started much better too and Jack Earing could not have been closer to pulling one back on 51 minutes, when his long-range effort hit the crossbar and bounced onto the line and clear.

Former Red Luke Summerfield then found space on his left-foot, but Dibble parried his rising shot wide.

Things could have got worse for Halifax on 58 minutes, however, when Davies released Angus and Maher hauled him down just outside the box.

Though Angus was behind the defence, referee Rebecca Welch let Maher off with just a yellow card.

Halifax’s frustrations furthered in the 69th minute, when Maher headed in Woods’ free-kick but from an offside position.

The hosts continued to enjoy the better of the second-half, and substitute Billy Chadwick lobbed wide on 72 minutes before Summerfield’s low effort was saved four minutes later.

Redmond replaced Dior Angus on 81 minutes, but it was another Halifax substitute, Kieran Green, who next went closest moments later – clipping the bar with a diving header.

Redmond’s first action was to skip inside a defender and drag a low shot wide from just outside the Halifax box.

Chris Sang then came on for his Wrexham debut for the final four minutes plus stoppage time, replacing fellow new boy Omotayo.

Sang was booked just a minute later, despite winning the ball in a committed 50-50 challenge with Maher.

Wrexham ensured the three points were paired with a first clean sheet in four matches, however, as the Reds jumped back above Halifax on goal difference.


FC Halifax Town: (5-3-2): Johnson, King, Clarke, Bradbury (Woods 46'), Byrne, Senior, Summerfield, Maher, Earing (Green 76'), Allen, Hyde (Chadwick 64').
Subs: Davison-Hale, Williams.

Wrexham: (3-5-2): Dibble, Kelleher, Pearson, Carrington, French, Young, Rutherford, Davies, Reckord, Omotayo (Sang 87'), Angus (Redmond 81').
Subs: Hall-Johnson, Jarvis, Marsh-Brown.

Referee: Rebecca Welch (Co Durham)

Bookings -
FC Halifax Town: Maher (foul, 57'), King (foul, 65'), Green (84', foul)
Wrexham: Sang (foul, 88')


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube