REPORT | FC Halifax Town 2-1 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Mon 22 Apr 2019

An injury time winner for Halifax Town, courtesy of a Devante Rodney strike, saw the Reds drop to fifth, when results elsewhere might have even have seen us going into the last weekend of the season with an outside chance of second or third placel had it been us to snatch the victory.

As it was, Scott Quigley’s opener was cancelled out by Chris Holroyd before the break and Wrexham’s quest for a winner in front of 1,200 travelling fans was in vain – thanks largely to keeper Sam Johnson, who kept his team in the game with a number of top class saves.

Settling quickly to their task as the match began, the visitors twice threatened the home goal, first Kevin Roberts crossing from the right and Matty Brown heading away before the ball reached Chris Holroyd.

Then down the left and James Jennings fired a low ball into a crowded box, but it was knocked behind for a flag kick.

That corner was played short to Luke Young and his fierce drive must have come off five different legs before finally being deflected away to Summerfield on the opposite flank, but his follow shot was also blocked by the massed ranks of blue shirts.

On 12 minutes, the Reds got numbers over lapping down the right wing and as it fell to Bobby Grant 22-yards out, he unleashed an effort that was travelling, but also carried over Sam Johnson in the home goal.

A misunderstanding in the Wrexham defence after 17 minutes, saw Akil Wright play the ball back towards keeper Rob Lainton, who was not expecting it, so conceding a corner to the home side. While Brown was able to get his head to the cross and direct the ball goalwards, it was straight to the visitors’ keeper.

The home side made the break through on 29 minutes, when the referee waved an advantage for Halifax 30 Yards for goal and the ball was fed through for ex-Red Scott Quigley, who was bearing down on Lainton and fired a shot passed the Wrexham man.

Moments later and Roberts was booked for holding the arm of Matty Koyslo, as the winger made a break for the Wrexham box.

On 36 minutes Quigley called for treatment in the middle of the park and despite the best efforts of the Halifax physio, headed for the bench to be replaced by Manny Duku.

Having missed an obvious push on Grant 22-yards out, the referee then gave

The free kick was taken by Summerfield, curling his effort round the wall, as the ball was pushed behind for a corner by the diving Johnson.

That flag kick was delivered deep by Young and headed down by Jason Oswell towards Holroyd, who with his back to goal a yard out in turn flicked it over the line, for the equaliser on 40 minutes.

Grant then followed this up by forcing Johnson into a save on the stretch, after the striker had chested the ball down and fired in from an angle.

Johnson then pulled off an even more spectacular save to deny Grant two minutes later, with a Scouser letting rip from an even more acute angle on the right.

In time added on at the end of the half, Jennings crossed deep from the left wing and Summerfield in the middle rose to head the ball, but he couldn’t get the direction right and it went wide.

Ht 1-1

An early scare in the second period, as Devante Rodney, Kieran Kennedy and Lainton all came together chasing a loose ball on the edge of the Wrexham box. The ball popped free, but Kennedy was able to keep his feet and clear it away from close to the goal line.

Niall Maher was booked for Halifax, after stepping across Holroyd on the wing.

Just after the hour mark and Shaun Pearson broke up a Halifax raid, passing the ball into midfield ad onto Oswell. With three blue shirts for company, he got into the home area, but his final shot was covered by Johnson.

There was a double substitution for Wrexham on 67 minutes, as Paul Rutherford and Stuart Beavon, replaced Summerfield and Oswell.

On 71 minutes, a great cross from Roberts was met at the back post by Jennings, who was somehow denied by another great save by Johnson on his own line. Despite appeals from both Jennings and Roberts that the ball had crossed the line, the assistant was having none of it.

With 12 minutes remaining, Halifax fund space on our left and from Rodney’s cross, it took a saving header by Roberts to deny Duku the chance of a goal at the back post.

That was also the signal for Jermaine McGlashan to come on for Holroyd.

Roberts then repeat his clearing header routine moments later, after another dangerous cross by Rodney.

At the other end, Beavon won the ball on the edge of the home box and squared for McGlashan, but as the winger pulled his leg back to shot at goal, it took a saving tackle by full back Joe Skarz, who hurt himself in the process, to avert the danger.

As we went into five minutes of added time, Rodney escaped his marker once too often and fired in a second for Halifax, low across Lainton and into to the far corner.

With just Harrogate to play at home next Saturday, it could be that we welcome the Yorkshire club twice within five days, as it is them or Eastleigh that we will be hosting at the Racecourse in the midweek Qualifying Play-Offs.

FC Halifax Town: Johnson, Clarke, Brown, Kosylo, King, Berrett, Maher, Gondoh (Preston 70), Rodney, Quigley (Duku 37), Skarz.
Subs: Rowley, Staunton, Freedman.

Wrexham: Lainton, Roberts, Kennedy, Pearson, Jennings, Summerfield (Rutherford 67), Young, Wright, Grant, Oswell (Beavon 67), Holroyd (McGlashan 79).
Subs: Dibble, Carrington.

Referee: Andrew Miller (Derbyshire)
Attendance: 2,577
Away: 1,196

Bookings -
Maher (57, foul)
Wrexham: Roberts (31, foul)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube