REPORT | FA Trophy: FC Halifax Town 4-0 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 14 Dec 2019

A much-changed Wrexham line-up exited the FA Trophy at the first hurdle, as we failed to get to grips with the impressive Jack Redshaw, who helped himself to a pair of second half goals.

These came after an early deflected set piece from Niall Maher had put the Shaymen in front. There was a missed penalty by JJ Hooper at 2-0, which might have changed things, but overall the home side were worthy winners, as emphasised by a late fourth goal by Danny Williams.

Halifax got off to a quick start with Jack Redshaw feeding in Jamie Allen for a shot that he pulled wide, then left back Jerome Binnom-Williams surged forward and his shot was deflected over by Max Cleworth.

After Cleworth conceded a free kick 25-yards out on 10 minutes, up stepped Maher to take the kick and see his deflected effort leave Christian Dibble wrong footed, as the ball went into other opposite corner of his net and gave the home side the lead.

The Reds were reeling at this stage and Halifax could well have added a second shortly afterwards, but then the tide did start to turn.

Wrexham responded with a quick break by Ben Tollitt, who was caught, despite having options to either side of him. To his credit though, he won the ball back, laying it off this time for JJ Hopper to fire a shot from distance that was deflected away for a corner.

A few minutes later and Hooper, with his back to goal, spotted Redmond free, laying the ball back to him and the midfielder’s first-time effort was well saved by Sam Johnson.

Then from Redmond’s corner on 24 minutes, Hooper got a header on target from eight yards, but it was straight at the keeper Johnson.

Hooper was the target for most of the Wrexham attacks and continued to cause constant problems for the home defenders.

On 32 minutes, Mark Harris fired in towards the near post where centre back Matty Brown beat his own keeper to the ball and headed behind for the corner, as the visitors pushed for an equaliser.

Cleworth continued to rise to the occasion and when the lively Redshaw thought he was going to break clear on his left, the youngster shadowed him, tackled him close to the byline and then brought the ball away to pass upfield.

After Wrexham conceded a corner on 37 minutes and Halifax failed to capitalise on a loose ball in the box, the Reds went up field and a cross from the right actually managed to hit Hooper on the back of the head at the back post, unfortunatley there were no red shirts close enough to pounce on the loose ball.

Following a booking for Maher on Tollitt, the free kick was knocked behind for another Wrexham corner, that was played to Hooper 12-yards out and the striker’s effort was blocked for another flag kick.

As we moved into added time, the Reds broke up field, but unnoticed by the referee, Danny Williams first pulled Redmond’s shirt before tripping him, but the midfielder got away with his indiscretion.

Ht 1-0

Two minutes in to the second half and Redshaw was allowed far too much space in the Wrexham box at a corner and after he played a neat one-two, before being able to fire home with the ball going in via the inside of a post.

Almost straight to the other end and Hooper was fouled from behind by Brown for a penalty. Once the complaints had died down, Hooper stepped forward to take the kick, but it was not his best with Johnson going to his right to easily save it low down.

Staunton was on the end of Wrexham clearance and from 18-yards his fierce effort was tipped over by Dibble at full stretch.

Another Town shot was deflected behind and from the corner, a dink ball over the Wexham defence was aimed at Nathan Clarke, who saw his close-range shot saved by Dibble at the foot of his left-hand post.

When Wrexham failed to clear that corner. Redshaw was put through and as he ran into the box on 56 minutes, he neatly chipped the advancing Dibble for the Shaymen’s third of the afternoon.

There was then a double change for Wrexham, as first Matty Jones came on for Barton and then Jason Oswell replaced Hooper.

Then on 66 minutes, Leighton McIntosh earned himself a straight red card when clashing with Maher in midfield, it looked like his boot was high on the home player. A pass had played behind the forward and as turned to chase after it, he seemed to stretch for the ball, but only ended up catching the Halifax player's trailing leg.

The final change for Wrexham saw Cian Williams on for Tyler Reid for the last 20 minutes.

Staunton tried an ambitious shot from 35-yards, that took a wicked loop off the leg of Harris and Dibble had to make a save under his crossbar as the ball came back down again.

Halifax were looking dangerous with their advantages in terms of both goals and men.

There was though a chance for Tollitt on 85 minutes, as he broke on the right wing and closing in on goal, but he saw his driven effort blocked by keeper Johnson.

Young full back Cian Williams also tried his luck, firing in a long-range effort that the home keeper was able to hold onto.

There was a fourth for the home side on 88 minutes, as Danny Williams was first to a low cross from the right wing and stabbed the ball home from close range. Substitiute Josh MacDonald crossed from the right flank, but as the ball deflected off the legs of Beaument, it fell kindly for the ex-Inverness player to score.

So ends our involvement in the Trophy for this season, but at least it did give the likes of Hooper, Barton and Reid the opportunity to get some minutes under their belt before the busy Festive period, when they could all be called upon.

FC Halifax Town: Johnson, Duckworth, Binnom-Williams, Clarke, Brown, Allen MacDonald 75), Sho-Silva (McCoulsky 61), Staunton, D Williams. Redshaw (King 69), Maher.
Subs: Nolan, Appleyard, McAlinden, Cooper.

Wrexham: Dibble, Reid (C Williams 70), Cleworth, Beaumont, Barnum-Bobb, Harris, Redmond, Barton (M Jones 58), Tollitt, Hooper (Oswell 58), McIntosh.
Subs: Szczepaniak, Huxley, Robinson-Murray, Bickerstaff.

Referee: Joe Hull (Gtr Manchester)
Attendance: 752
Away: 111

Sending Off -
McIntosh (66, serious foul play)

Bookings –
FC Halifax Town:
Maher (40, foul), Binnom-Williams (83, time wasting)
Wrexham: Barnum-Bobb (83, foul)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube