REPORT | Fleetwood Town 1-0 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Fri 05 Jul 2019

A disciplined Wrexham performance was not rewarded by the scoreline, as the Dragons’ second pre-season friendly ended in a 1-0 defeat to Fleetwood Town.

A defensive error late on led to the Cod Army’s only goal, as Bryan Hughes’ side stepped up their pre-season programme at Poolfoot Farm.

Shaun Pearson and Mike Fondop had previously forced good saves from Matt Gilks, while Christian Dibble produced a suberb reflex stop at the other end.

Ultimately, however, as younger players were introduced towards the end, Fleetwood snatched the only goal of the game to earn a narrow win.

Both sides started patiently, with Fleetwood Town happy to pass the ball at the back and Wrexham retaining a disciplined shape to limit their possible outlets.

Josh Morris had the game’s first big chance, sneaking in behind the defence, but Christian Dibble was out quickly to charge down the shot on 17 minutes.

Trialist C, playing on the right of the front three, cut inside and fired a left-footed shot over on 24 minutes.

Shaun Pearson proved key at the back for Wrexham, charging down shots from Laurence Smith and Conor McAleny.

At the other end, Luke Summerfield found space 25 yards out and shot on 41 minutes, but his long-range effort sailed harmlessly over.

Kyle Dempsey then did likewise for Fleetwood, but his effort sailed just wide of Dibble’s left-hand post.

Bryan Hughes retained much of the same XI for the second-half, whereas Fleetwood made wholesale changes.

Mark Carrington and Devonte Redmond were the two introduced for the Dragons, in place of James Jennings and Luke Summerfield.

Mark Harris had the first notable chance, however, just minutes after the restart, bringing the ball down in the area but shooting wildly over from a tight angle.

At the other end, Eddie Clarke crossed low for Daniel Mooney on 51 minutes, but Dibble produced an excellent reflex save low to his right.

Clarke then fed Harvey Saunders on 55 minutes, who shot left-footed into the side netting after beating the offside trap.

Shaun Pearson met Luke Young’s cross at the other end on 57 minutes, but his powerful header was saved well by Matt Gilks.

Wrexham made further changes on 62 minutes, with Bobby Grant and Mike Fondop among the players to come on.

And it was Fondop who peeled off the shoulder of the defender on 65 minutes and shot left-footed to force Gilks into a smart save.

From the resultant corner, Carrington kept the ball alive and his pass into the box deflected just wide of the Fleetwood goal.

Fleetwood made the breakthrough on 81 minutes, however – Trialist D, only just on in goal, miscued a clearance and Michael Fowler eventually tapped in from close range.

And that proved the only goal of the game, as a disciplined Wrexham performance ultimately went unrewarded result-wise against their League One opponents.


Fleetwood Town: (3-5-2): Cairns (Gilks 46), Morgan (Southam-Hales 46), Sheron (Eastham 46), Andrew (Clarke 46), Burns (Saunders 46), Dempsey (Matete 46), Biggins (Sowerby 46), Smith (Morris 46), Hunter (Clarke 46), Morris (Baggley 46), McAleny (Fowler 46)

Wrexham AFC: (4-3-3): Dibble (Szczepaniak 71), Trialist A (Thorn 71), Pearson (Beaumont 62), Trialist B, Jennings (Carrington 46), Young (Barton 71), Summerfield (Redmond 46), Wright (Rutherford 62), Trialist C (Sargent 62), Hooper (Fondop 62), Harris (Grant 62)

Referee: Ben Toner

Attendance: 400
Away: 50

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube