REPORT | Gateshead 1-1 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 23 Feb 2019

Cole Stockton’s 93rd minute equaliser almost felt like a winner at the International Stadium, as the Reds came from behind to claim their seventh point of tiring week for the players and the tremendous travelling supporters.

One change to our line-up came with keeper Christian Dibble starting due to an injury to Rob Lainton, with new boy Luke Simpson on the bench.

The opening chances fell to the home side, first it was a shot from right back Robbie Tinkler which was blocked by the body of James Jennings, after we only half cleared a cross from the opposite wing.

Then on 10 minutes, a cross from Tinkler was headed on in the middle, letting the ball run through to left back Scott Barrow, who fired in to the side netting.

A period of Wrexham of pressure on 25 minutes, saw Wrexham win a corner as Jenings’ cross was knocked behind.

After initially laying the flag kick back into midfield, it was slipped through and somehow Luke Young and Ben Tollitt got in each other’s way, just eight yards out and the ball rolled harmlessly through to keeper Anysley Pears.

Oswell had an effort on 29 minutes, getting in between white shirts to head goalwards from a left-wing cross, but Pears was  

As Wrexham kept up the attacks, Rutherford’s right-wing cross was only sliced onto the roof of his own net by centre half Mike Williamson.

Tollitt was weaving some magic down the left on 37 minutes, evening Tinkler on the ground before playing a low cross behind the him defence, but the massed ranks of home players were able to clear.

With Wrexham having enjoy the majority in the first half, it was the Heed who took the lead on 40 minutes. Steven Rigg was able to take a return pass from Greg Olley and cut through the Wrexham defence, Dibble came off his line and blocked the striker’s first effort, but the ball looped up and Rigg was well placed to head into an empty.

His third goal in two-games, after going 19 without scoring.

Ht 1-0

While Wrexham had enjoyed plenty of possession in the opening quarter of an hour in the second half, the home team were just happy to sit back and keep men behind the ball.

The first incident of note was a yellow card for Akil Wright, after he was quality of conceding a couple of free kicks in quick succession.

On 69 minutes, Nicky Deverdics was sent on for Wright.

There was finally chance on 73 minutes, as Jennings slotted a ball through for Rutherford down the left-hand channel, the winger chased the pass and was able to lift his effort over the advancing Pears, but it also carried over the crossbar.

From the corner, Lawlor headed back across goal and while Bard Walker was able to get his foot to the ball, it was hit well over the target.

The Heed responded with their first chance of the half, as the lively Greg Olley pulled his shot wide of Dibble’s left-hand post.

With 12 minutes left, a double chance saw Chris Holroyd and Cole Stockton replace Tollitt and Carrington respectively

On 82 minutes, Walker left fly with a great effort from outside the box that was just wide, hitting a net support!

In the 87th minute, Mellish’s header deflected the ball into the path of Oswell, but with the goal in his sight a Williamson’s timely tackle knocked the ball back to his own keeper.

The ball was then knocked down to Holroyd, but he shot was blocked from eight yards out.

Then into the third minute of added time, Cole Stockton managed to bundle the ball home after his first effort had come back off a post, to send the 500+ travelling fans into a state of happiness and thy celebrated like it was a win.

Seven points from three long away trips, that will do at any time of the year, but even more so as we head for the month of March.

Gateshead: Pears, Tinkler, Barrow, Kerr, Williamson, Thomson (Salkeld 84), Olley (Hunter 80), Rigg, Mellish, White, Forbes.
Subs: Foden, Maloney, Devitt.

Wrexham: Dibble, Carrington (Stockton 78), Kennedy, Lawlor, Jennings, Walker, Wright (Deverdics 69), Young, Rutherford, Tollitt (Holroyd 78), Oswell.
Subs: Simpson, Tharme.

Referee: Paul Howard (London)
Attendance: 1,228
Away: 525

Bookings -
Gateshead: White 86, foul)
Wrexham: Wright (64, foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube