REPORT | Guiseley 0-2 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 03 Feb 2018

A goal in either half secured the points for the Dragons on the road at Guiseley.

First Chris Holroyd rounded ex-Red Luke Coddington to set us on our way and then Shaun Pearson was on target with another towering header to send the 600+ travelling fans home happy.

While a number of our rivals weren't in league action over the weekend, it also sent us into top spot.

There was also a debut for latest signing Nicky Deverdics, with Scott Quigley not fit to play after leaving the action at Gateshead in midweek.

The first chance of the afternoon fell to Marcus Kelly, but he stabbed a foot out at the loose ball and nudged it wide of the left-hand post from 10-yards. This after Chris Holroyd and Scott Boden and battled to win the ball in the home penalty area.

On eight minutes, Paul Rutherford switched to the left wing, drove into the Guiseley area and crossed to the near post, where Holroyd fired left footed round his marker, but the effort was well saved by Luke Coddington, low down to his right-hand post.

Deverdics forced Coddington into another save on 17 minutes, with an effort from the edge of the box.

Wrexham's Chris Holroyd celebrates v Guiseley

But seconds later and the Reds were in front, as Boden thread the keeper’s clearance back through to Holroyd, who went wide of the advancing Coddington and slide the ball into the exposed net from a tight angle.

On 23 minutes, the Lions put on their first serious attack and won a corner, after Chris Dunn came for a high ball, but didn’t clear properly and Sam Wedgbury was left to block the follow up effort.

Two minutes later and James Roberts got on the end a high cross and volleyed his effort back across the Wrexham goal – although it actually went out for a throw in.

Shaun Pearson when close to scoring on 33 minutes, when he rose high to head Rutherford’s left-wing corner, his effort beating Coddington, but Callum McFadzean was able to clear off the line.

On 40 minutes, Jennings put in another tempting cross from the left, it was just inches too high for Boden’s head and then a few inches too far away for Rutherford coming in at the back post.

Just before the interval, a long ball over the top saw Dayle Southwell get the better of Manny Smith, but the striker was unable to get his shot on target as Dunn raced from his line to narrow the angle.

There was a booking for Holroyd on 45 minutes for knocking the ball away at a Guiseley throw in.

Ht Guiseley 0-1 Wrexham

Guiseley started the second period the better of the two team and enjoyed plenty of possession in the next 15 minutes. James Roberts seeing a shot blocked and forcing a corner, as the Lions looked for a way back into the match.

There was a booking for Victor Nirennold, who was judged to have fouled Deverdics and then kicked the ball away in his frustration. Quickly followed a yellow for McFadzean, who fouled Kevin Roberts.

A three-man move fed the ball out wide to Rutherford on 62 minutes, the winger cutting inside and firing an effort that deflected off James Roberts and into the side netting of the home goal for a corner.

There was another booking for the Lions as skipper Alex-Ray Harvey took down Wedgbury on 62 minutes.

A free kick to Guiseley on the left, deep in the Wrexham half, saw Harvey send over a good cross that was meet by the head of substitute Mike Fondop, but his effort carried just over Dunn’s cross bar.

Wrexham's Shaun Pearson scores v Guiseley

On 72 minutes, came a second goal for the Reds, as Pearson was once again first to a Rutherford corner in the home box and coming through the crowd, he powered home his header into the back of the net,

There was then a double change by the Lions, with Roberts and Southwell making way for Andy Howarth and Rowan Liburd respectively.

Although before play could restart, a blue smoke bomb was thrown onto the pitch by the home supporters - not a single steward re-acted and it was left to manager Paul Cox to sprint 30-yards to remove the offending item!

With two minutes left, Liburd was on the end of a quick break by the home side and he won a corner, when his effort was well blocked by Jennings.

Jack Mackreth replaced Holroyd in the first of five added minutes.

With a two-goal advantage, the visitors comfortably held their hosts at bay and celebrated with the ranks of travelling supporters at the final whistle.

Guiseley: Coddington, Southwell (Liburd 73), McFadzean, Odejayi (Fondop 59), Lenighan, Harvey, Crookes, J Roberts (Haworth 73), Flowers, Nirennold.
Subs: Palmer, Purver.

Wrexham: Dunn, K Roberts, M Smith, Pearson, Jennings, Rutherford, Wedgbury, Deverdics, Kelly, Boden, Holroyd (Mackreth 90+1).
Subs: Dibble, Hurst, Raven, Wright.

Referee: Paul Marsden (Lancashire)
Attendance: 1,338
Away: 600ish

Bookings -
Lenighan (34, dissent), Nirennold (54, time wasting), McFadzean (55, foul), Harvey (62, foul), Flowers (84, foul)
Wrexham: Holroyd (45, time wasting), Wedgbury (84, dissent)

Wrexham fans celebrate v Guiseley

Photographs courtesy of Alun Roberts (AJAR Photographics)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube