REPORT | Harrogate Town 0-0 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 25 Sep 2018

No goals at the CNG Stadium but a very decent performance by the Reds, as they pushed Harrogate all the way and at the final whistle left the pitch to prolonged applause from the 700+ travelling Wrexham supporters.

A number of changes to the team on the evening, as both James Jennings and Rekeil Pyke missed out due to injury.

After six minutes of Harrogate pressure from the kick-off, it was a quick break by Mike Fondop that gave rise to the first chance of the game, as the big man bore down on the home keeper, but James Belshaw stood his ground to make a low save.

More Harrogate pressure include a free kick by Joe Leesley after Dominic Knowles was brought down by Brad Walker. It worried the Wrexham defence and was eventually cleared for a corner, that was then headed away by the towering figure of Shaun Pearson.

From Mark Carrington free kick on the half way line, the home keeper came to the edge of the box to challenge Pearson but was lucky to only knock the ball up in the air and catch at the second attempt.

Then a home free kick from the edge of the centre circle saw the ball aimed at Callum Howe free at the right-hand post, but his effort was only pulled back across the face of the Wrexham goal with the home players screaming at the officials for an offence that the rest of us didn’t see.

The first yellow card went to Howe on 24 minutes, when he brought down Mike Fondop out wide. The kick came in and was headed into the danger zone by Pearson, but Fondop was blown up for high foot as he looked to get a shot away.

A slip by Summerfield, allowed Harrogate to get a sight of goal on 36 minutes, but the defence scampered across to cover and it was the midfielder himself who recovered his footing to race back and make the final clearance.

Summerfield was then at the heart of the next effort, as he scooped up the ball 25-yards out and fired an effort that took a slight deflection as it just cleared the home cross bar for a corner.

Wrexham we now enjoying a good spell, which also saw Jordan Maguire-Drew try a left footed effort from the right that wasn’t too far away from its target.

As we moved in added time, Brad Walker wasn’t afraid to try an effort from fully 35-yards that had plenty of venom behind it, but ultimately was off target. But would have been one to remember had it struck the net.

Ht 0-0

Walker was cautioned for tripping Knowles 25-yards from goal, after the Harrogate man had turned smartly on the artificial surface. After a long delay the home side worked an intricate move from the set piece, but the Reds charged down the shot.

Fondop then picked up his fourth yellow of the season for catching the home keeper on the edge of the box.

Great work by Wrexham on the right after 62 minutes, saw Roberts and Maguire-Drew fed in Rutherford to race away before squaring his pass that was aimed at Fondop, but while the big man got a touch it wasn’t a clear effort and carried wide.

Shortly afterwards, Fondop was fouled 25-yards out and Summerfield’s free kick was saved by the diving Belshaw and in the follow up move Walker saw his long-distance effort headed away by the home defence.

On 68 minutes, Akil Wright caught his studs in the 4G surface and needed some treatment before heading for the sidelines and was replaced by Luke Young.

Fondop was on target as he beat the offside trap and fired in an effort that the home keeper saved to his right, before denying the same man 60 seconds later when diving full length.

Next up was Maguire-Drew, but the Brighton man’s first touch wasn’t great with the goal opening up in front of him, although he did win a corner. That was taken by Summerfield, only half cleared before it came in again and Belshaw was forced to punch away.

From a long throw by Harrogate on 82 minutes, the ball bounced about in the Wrexham box with no one able to deal with it until eventually Summerfield knocked it out on the opposite side of the pitch.

There was a last five minutes for Chris Holroyd to make his mark as he came on for Maguire-Drew. Then Stuart Beavon replaced the hardworking Rutherford as the game moved into added time.

Despite some heavy pressure from Harrogate into added time, there were no goals, despite Young’s cross into the home box that was just ahead of two red shirts.

Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Falkingham, Howe, Burrell, Thomson (Beck78), Knowles (Williams 73), Leesley, Langmead, Kerry, Muldoon, Kitching.
Subs: Cracknell, Agnew, Sutton.

Wrexham: Lainton, Roberts, Lawlor, Pearson, Carrington, Summerfield, Walker, Wright (Young 70), Rutherford (Beavon 90), Fondop, Maguire-Drew (Holroyd 85).
Subs: Dibble, Deverdics.

Referee: Roger Gibbons (Merseyside)
Attendance: 2,387
Away: 717

Bookings -
Harrogate: Howe (24, foul), Kitching (77, foul)
Wrexham: Walker (47, foul), 56, foul)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube