REPORT | Hartlepool United 0-2 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 20 Jan 2018

What better way to announce your arrival at a new club than to score the winning goal on your debut, Scott Quigley actually went one better and hit a double in this very professional and polished performance at the Victoria Ground.

Both the goals came in the second half and were a joy to watch, as Quigley came up against his old TNS manager Craig Harrison and there was only going to be one winner.

In the sixth minute, Quigley took a pass from James Jennings on the edge of the Hartlepool area, laid off to his right for Scott Boden, who had sight of goal and forced home keeper Scott Loach into a flying save that saw him tip the ball away for a corner.

Nicky Deverdics was booked for fouling Wedgbury in the build up to that effort.

A second booking for the home side came 14 minutes when Lewis Hawkins dived in on Wedgbury. Leaving the midfielder in a heap on the halfway line.

In the follow up attacks from this free kick, Jennings delivered a lovely long ball from the left and just as it looked like it was going to reach Boden at the back post, full back Blair Adams managed to get a high leg to the ball and deflected it away.

Liam Donnelly came to his side’s aid on 29 minutes, when is six-yard box that was crowded with red shirts, he managed to get his head to a Wrexham free kick and knock it away for a corner.

Wrexham's Chris Holroyd at Hartlepool

Paul Rutherford’s left sided flag kick was back heeled by Manny Smith and in twice in quick succession, the visitors knocked in crosses as Hartlepool we having problems in clearing their lines.

Just after the half hour mark, a Wrexham free kick deep in the Hartlepool half was taken by t he keeper and quickly set his side away with a long throw out to Deverdics. The midfielder swung in a cross as the visitors were stretched, leaving Wedgbury to deliver a well-timed tackle and deny the lurking Devante Rodney.

Two minutes before the break and after Rutherford’s initial cross had only been half cleared, Boden tipped a ball on to Quigley, who got a touch and forced Loach into another save from six-yards.

Ht 0-0

From a soft free kick on he half way line, the home dropped the ball into the Wrexham box where it was headed back to Donnelly, who was unlucky to see his first-time effort strike the top of the cross bar.

The home side then won another free kick shortly afterwards, but this time and straight from the breakaway, the ball was fed to Quigley, only 15 yards inside the Hartlepool half, he shrugged off the attentions of his marker, headed towards goal and struck his effort inside the far post to fire Wrexham in a 54th minute lead.

Pools though lifted themselves and forced a series of corners on the hour, with Chris Dunn doing well to get through bodies to punch one particular cross away.

Wrexham responded with Quigley again showing his close control around the home box and bringing other players into the action.

On 69 minutes, Pools were pushing forward and midfielder Hawkins ended a surging run with a rising shot that carried over Dunn’s goal.

On his debut Quigley grabbed a second goal on 73 minutes with a finish that will be talked about for years to come.

A short ball out of defence to him, deep in his own half and he passed to Boden, who in turn played it back to the big striker who had the whole of the Hartlepool half to himself. He carried the ball forward with defenders breathing down his neck, but calmly slotted the finish passed the advancing Loach.

Wrexham's Scott Quigley celebrates at Hartlepool

There was a booking for Kelly on 77 minutes when he took the ball off Rodney, but the referee deemed it foul and took the Wrexham man’s name.

Before play could restart, Dean Keates took off Quigley to replace him with Akil Wright, bolstering his options in midfield and pushing Holroyd forward.

With three minutes of normal time remaining a long-range effort from Holroyd was put out for a Wrexham corner, that kept the ball down their end of the park for another 30 seconds.

A substitution in the last minute saw the hard-working Boden replaced by James Hurst, who actually went up front and quickly won a free kick!

The final minutes of added time were seen out safely for a good three points on the road.

Hartlepool United: Loach, Magnay, Donnelly, Laing, Adams, Featherstone (Adeloye 81), Woods, Deverdics, Hawkins, Cassidy, Rodney.
Subs: Catterick, Harrison, Hawkes, Newton.

Wrexham: Dunn, Roberts, M Smith, Pearson, Jennings, Rutherford, Wedgbury, Kelly, Holroyd, Quigley (Wright 77), Boden (Hurst 89).
Subs: Dibble, Mackreth, L Smith.

Referee: Matt Donohue (G Manchester)
Attendance: 6,833
Away: 421

Bookings -
Deverdics (6, foul), Hawkins (14, foul)
Wrexham: Kelly (77, foul)

Photographs by Alun Roberts (AJAR Photographics)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube