REPORT | Havant & Waterlooville 2-3 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 16 Feb 2019

This game was turned on its head during a 15-minute spell at the start of the second half, as the Reds came from behind to take a 3-1 lead, which was reduced later, but a vital three points to take back to North Wales.

A cross by Joe Quigley on five minutes gave the game its first chance, but on the edge of the Wrexham box, two home strikers ran into each other before Hassan Jalloh finally get a shot away, that Rob Lainton was right behind and held on as it bounced up off the bobbly surface in front of him.

Another five minutes on and Ben Tollitt opened the home defence before squaring the ball, setting up Luke Young for a shot from 18-yards, that deflected away for a corner.

The referee then gave the home side a penalty on 14 minutes, as Wes Fogden seemed fall into Brad Walker, but the official was adamant despite the protests of defenders and travelling supporters right behind the incident.

Quigley stepped up and sent Lainton the wrong way from the spot kick to put the Hawks ahead.

Jason Oswell will be cursing his luck on 18 minutes when he got his head to a Paul Rutherford cross, losing his marker at the back post, but keeper Ben Dudzinski was able to deny him from close range.

There was a length delay on the half hour, as two Havant players and Oswell all needed extended treatment, but the trio were able to continue.

On 36 minutes, Oswell’s touch on freed Rutherford down the right and his deep cross was for Tollitt, although keeper Dudzinski was able to collect diving to his right.

There was a booking for Oswell on 41 minutes, when he caught Jordan Rose, as the centre half was clearing the ball.

Although Jalloh steamed into Mark Carrington as he cleared on the edge of the box, this was not spotted by the match officials, but the card came out again seconds later as Pearson tugged at the shirt of Robinson on the halfway line.

Moments later and Oswell had the time and space to shot from just inside the box, but his effort was knocked away by a defender.

Ht 1-0

The half time team talk saw the Reds, playing down the slope, straight onto the attack and Wright fed a pass through for the speeding Tollitt, but his low shot was tipped away by Dudzinski

Tollitt was then presented with a second effort moments later but bearing down on the home goal his shot was deflected away for a corner.

The corner was played in for a second time and finally the ball ended up in the back of the Hawks net as skipper Pearson headed home in a crowded area.

Minutes later and Wright skipped through three challenges, curling an effort at goal that the impressive home keeper dived to push away, while James Jennings’ follow up effort was knocked away.

The hundreds of travelling Wrexham supporters were certainly enjoying what they were seeing in the second period and urged the players on as they flooded forward.

The pitch was hardly helping either side by this stage as it was cutting up, especially in both goalmouths.

Next up was a cross from Carrington on the right, that was aimed at Oswell, he couldn’t get a clean header on the ball and the clearance was knocked away it rebounded off Wright towards the home goal, but wide of the target.

After his series of misses last weekend, Akil Wight was the man who forced us in front on 58 minutes, as he crashed home the ball at the back post, following a lovely flowing three-man move down the left.

It was not more than the Welshmen deserved for taking the game by the scruff of the neck!

Now we have seen it all, as two minutes later James Jennings took a pass through on the left from Tollitt and with just the goalkeeper to beat, he drilled his low shot into the far corner. He then ran behind the goal and all the way to the corner flag high fiving the Wrexham fans who were delirious as this goal scoring spree unfolding in front of them.

The Hawks still held a threat and on 67 minutes Alfie Rutherford found space for a break on the right and hus string shot was parried away by Lainton.

That was followed up sixty seconds later as Rutherford popped up again and fired a low shot passed Lainton to reduce the arrears.

This was also the moment that Oswell was replaced by Chris Holroyd.

The striker’s first contribution was to chase after a long ball over the top by Rutherford, while he beat the offside trap, the curl on the pass took it just away from him and allowed the home keeper to collect.

From a throw in, Havant caused more problems for Wrexham as Alfie Rutherford turned in the box to give himself room for a shot that the side netting.

The home skipper Rory Williams slipped on the surface and after treatment was replaced by Matt Patterson on 76 minutes. Ibra Sekajja replaced Jalloh a minute later.

After a silly free kick being conceded b the Reds, the home team lifted the ball into the box and although it was headed goalwards, Lawlor cleared behind for a corner. As the ball came back in two players clashed heads and both physios were needed to attend again.

As we went into the final minute the game, we gave Kieran Kennedy his debut for Walker, who had clashed heads just before.

Tollitt was booked for time wasting, kicking the ball away after being caught offside.

Five minutes of added time were indicated to a match already running late.

There was a shot from distance by Sekajja, that cleared the stand behind Lainton’s goal, greeted with great cheers by the visitors.

But there was till a chance for Quigley, who flicked the ball goalwards, but Lainton tipped onto an upright before it was cleared.

There was a booking for Jennings at the death, as the referee continued to let play go in the 98th minute before blowing the final whistle.

Havant & Waterlooville: Dudzinski, Williams (Paterson 76), Fogden, Quigley, Robinson, Rose, James (Strugnell 46), A Rutherford, Cordner, Paul, Jalloh (Sekajja 77).
Subs: Woodford, Harris,

Wrexham: Lainton, Carrington, Pearson, Lawlor, Jennings, Walker (Kennedy 90), Young, Wright, Rutherford, Oswell (Holroyd 71), Tollitt.
Subs: Dibble, Deverdics, Stockton.

Referee: Richard Hulme (Somerset)
Attendance: 1,658
Away: 250ish

Bookings -
Oswell (41, foul), Pearson (43, foul), Tollitt (90, time wasting), Jennings (90+5, foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube