REPORT | Leyton Orient 1-0 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 21 Apr 2018

Following this defeat to the O’s, our play-off hopes now not only depend on beating Fylde next Saturday, but also on the added sequence of several other results going our way - starting with Ebbsfleet and Bromley in midweek.

A first header from Macauley Bonne was enough to decide the outcome this game, as a large travelling contingent of Wrexham fans did all they could to back the boys.

Kevin Roberts returned to the right back role after his three-match ban, with David Raven reverting to the bench, as the only change from last week’s side that faced the Daggers.

Orient had the first effort of the game, as Dan Happe headed goalwards from Jobi McAnuff’s free kick and it was keeper Chris Dunn who managed to get his finger tips to the looping effort to deny the O’s.

With backing of 655 travelling supporters urging them forward, on nine minutes Jack Mackreth cut in from the right and as the ball was passed on, it looked like Paul Rutherford had the opportunity to repeat his goal against the Daggers, but this time he miscued from 12- yards.

While it was an even contest in the opening quarter of the game, Orient skipper McAnuff was only too willing to have a dig at goal once, he got Chris Dunn within his sights, firing off a couple of long range efforts from ouside the box.

First booking of the afternoon went to McAnuff for a trip on James Jennings, well inside the home half of the pitch. Unfortunately, the free kick came to nothing, as it was despatched too high for the waiting attackers, but easily collected by Dean Brill in the home goal.

The Wrexham defence was breeched on 29 minutes, when McAnuff crossed from their right and Macauley Bonne pulled off his marker to head the ball low into the corner of Dunn’s net.

Mackreth was next into the book for a foul on Ebou Adams, right in front of the dugouts on 32 minutes.

Three minutes later and Marcus Kelly fed Scott Quigley through the middle, but his curling effort from the edge of the box was only just over Brill’s crossbar.

Ht 1-0

Following a break by Sam Wedgbury six minutes after the restart, Quigley attacked down the left flank before shooting wide. Referee Allison then went back up field and booked Leyton midfielder Ebou Adams for a foul in the build-up.

Orient were still pushing forward and on the hour mark, Josh Koroma ran 50-yards before sending in a shot that Dunn was happy to touch away for a corner.

A few minutes later and following determined work by Mackreth on the right touchline to win the ball back, the winger sent in a cross aimed at Scott Boden. While the striker did get his head to the ball, he was back peddling a little and the effort drifted wide of the target.

More good build up by the O’s saw the ball twice laid off in fromt of the Wrexham goal before it reached McAnuff, whose low effort was deflected away for a corner.

On 67 minutes, Akil Wright was introduced for Mackreth.

After Kelly had skied an effort laid off to him after 72 minutes, Simon Ainge was introduced for Boden.

On 77 minutes, an Ainge header back into the middle of the box found Kelly unmarked some 15-yards out, but his first-time effort was once more off target.

An 84th minute Wrexham free kick, from 35-yards, then drifted out of play ahead of two white shirts forlornly chasing after it.

Orient reacted quickly, moving the ball down to the other end through substitute David Mooney, whose shot on the run was well saved by Dunn. Bonne got his head to the following corner, but Wright was on hand to clear off his own line.

As results were going against us from around the league, Kevin Roberts was booked for a foul in the final minutes of the game.

Leyton Orient: Brill, McAnuff, Bonne, Judd, Koroma, Ekpiteta, Clay, Happe, Brophy (Lee 89), Adams (Mooney 73), Ling.
Subs: Grainger, Clayden, Reynolds.

Wrexham: Dunn, Roberts, M Smith, Pearson, Jennings, Mackreth (Wright 67), Wedgbury, Kelly, Rutherford, Boden (Ainge 72), Quigley.
Subs: Dibble, Raven, Deverdics.

Referee: S Allison (Wiltshire)
Attendance: 5,166
Away: 655

Bookings -
Leyton Orient:
McAnuff (23, foul), Adams (51, foul), Judd (75. time wasting)
Wrexham: Mackreth (32, foul), Roberts, (88, foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube