REPORT | Louletano DC 2-2 Wrexham - FT

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Wed 11 Jul 2018

Despite two first half goals from Mike Fondop and Nicky Deverdics, our hosts turned the tables in the second half and fought back to take a share of the spoils.

The Dragons played at the Estadio Algarve this evening, but Kevin Roberts had to sit out the 90 minutes with a minor injury.

While on the bench were trialists Blake Robinson and Cameron Stewart.

The Reds were actually wearing a rather fetching all-purple this evening, as special kit.

With the shadow of the massive stands cast deep across the pitch, the temperature for the players was a little more bearable for the players and welcome breeze also helped.

Hundreds of Wrexham supporters had made the trip out to Portugal and we in good voice as they backed the team and their flags made for a colourful scene behind one of the goals.

The Welshman took the lead on 15 minutes after great work by Mark Carrington on the right wing and his pinpoint cross made it so inviting for Mike Fondop to dive in between his marked and head home from six yards.

It was a goal well received by the travelling hordes and Mike gave them a little dance to keep the cheers coming.

While the celebrations were going on at one end of the field, Christian Dibble signalled to the bench that he had to come off - not initally sure why - and Rob Lainton made a quick change on the sidelines to emerge between the sticks.

On 22 minutes, Chris Holroyd was fouled on the side of the box, inches outside according the referee.

From the set piece, Luke Young drove in his effort on goal but it cannoned off a defender for a Wrexham corner.

A second goal followed after 26 minutes, an usual affair - as the home keeper, one of his defenders and Mike Fondop, had all collided and were lying on the ground, but the ball ran kindly for Nicky Deverdics and with no whistle sounding, from 25-yards he calmly chipped it back into an empty net.

Leo Smith needed treatment on the half hour for bang in the back, but after some time was able to continue.

The central midfielder for Louletano was booked on 35 minutes and then moments later he pulled Jennings back, causing the referee to have a long discussion with the home bench about the player's future conduct - lucky boy.

He was though substituted shortly afterwards!

Two minutes later and the home side did create their first serious attack, with a ball over the top, which Lainton did well to deal with on the edge of his box as one the LDC strikers bore down on him.

A couple of minutes before the break and Shaun Pearson needed attention, although he went to the sidelines, he did return to the action.

From a long throw in by LDC, the ball ended up on the opposite side of the penalty and there was low shot at the Wrexham goal, but it passed several metres wide of Lainton's right hand post.

Then a free kick for the home side from the left flank, was touched behind for a home corner, but that was only knocked behind as the half time whistle sounded.

Ht 0-2

There were a couple of changes at the interval as Paul Rutherford replaced Fondop and Luke Summerfield came on for Shaun Pearson.

Akil Wright dropped back into defence alongside Manny Smith, while Ruthers went onto the right wind and Holdryd played as the centrl striker.

LDC got a goal back on 51 minutes when a free kick from out wide on our left was met by the head of the #21 eight yards out and crossed the line after hitting the back post.

The home side had finished the opening period strongly and had started the second half in similar fashion.

On 57 minutes, Holroyd did well to win his header against two defnders and knock the ball back towards Luke Young, but the midfielder's effort curled wide of the target.

Just after the hour and a triple change by Sam Ricketts saw Rekeil Pyke, Blake Robinson and Cameron Stewart replaced Holroyd, Deverdics and Jennings respectively.

Lainton had to be alert to a long range effort from the #29 in midfield, but he was able to move smartly to his left and push the effort away.#As 65 minutes ticked round on the clock, Leo Smith slipped the ball through for Pyke, but his one-on-one effort with the home keeper was blocked.

With multiple substitutions by both managers it was always going to be hard for the game to keep it's flow going, but the ball did swing from end-to-end in the clsoing stages.

There was a booking for Young on 86 minutes, as he fouled his man from behind15 yards into the Wrexham half as LDC threatened a quick breakaway.

With two minutes of normal time remaining their was an equaliser for the locals as they headed home from a throw in.

Slightly took the shin off a good work out, but the travelling fans were happy with what they had seen on the evening and gave a the good round of applause at the final whistle.

Wrexham: Dibble (Lainton 15), Carrington, M Smith, Pearson (Summerfield 46), Jennings (Stewart 61); Wright, Young, Deverdics (Robinson 61); L Smith, Fondop (Rutherford 46), Holroyd (Pyke 61).


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube