REPORT | Macclesfield Town 1-1 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 24 Jul 2018

After the disappointing display on Saturday at Telford, there was a positive reaction at Macclesfield Town this evening and one which will only encourage the coaching staff.

The proflific Manny Smith with a sweet low shot opened the scoring in the first half, before a glut of home substitutes lifted the Silkmen and Harry Smith drew them level late on.

Injuries again reduce the numbers available to Sam Ricketts, with Shaun Pearson, Nicky Deverdics and Rekeil Pyke all on the sidelines.

Jack Mckreath did play for the Silkmen, although named as a trialist, while Rhys Taylor was between the posts.

On 14 minutes, a lovely defence splitting ball by Luke Young was aimed for the overlapping Paul Rutherford, but their trialist left midfielder was just about to divert the ball behind for a flag kick.

From the resulting corner, Mike Fondop rose highest and headed just over, but the referee - himself just pomoted from the National League - spotted an infingement.

The big Cameroonian striker was at it again on 20 minutes, as he found space to get his head to a Rutherford cross, but his effort was directed staight at Taylor in the home goal.

As the ball then swung straight to the other end, Rob Lainton came for a cross, but only diverted it to the Macclesfield trialist left midfielder, who in turn failed to find the target with his chip.

Wrexham took the lead on 25 minutes, as Manny Smith latched onto a loose ball in the Macc penalty area, following a free kick, and with only Taylor to beat, slotted his effort home like a true striker.

Sam Ricketts will been much happier with this first half display against the newly promoted EFL club and on their own patch.

With Doug Tharme alongside Manny Smith and Akil Wright in midfield, it did appear a more balanced display.

This allowed the midfielder to enjoy plenty of possession with Summerfield and Young pushing on to fed the front line.

Just before the break, and after receiving a foul in his favour, big Mike was not happy with his treatment from the trialilst left winger and showed his displeasure, which earned the pair of them a dressing down from the referee.

There was still time for the Reds to win the ball back in a dangerous area and Fondop's effort from distance had Taylor scampering uncomfortably across his goal to make sure the ball was going just outside of his right hand post.

Half Time: Macclesfield 0-1 Wrexham

A couple of changes for the hosts at the break, included Mackreath departing and the evergreen Danny Whitaker appearing.

A nice passage of play on 55 minutes had the Wrexham clapping as Rutheford cross from the left was met by the head of Chris Holroyd and only inches wide of the target, but behind him Fondop probably had the better take on the cross.

Still, it is was more encouraging football from the Welshmen, as they continuned to more the ball around the lovely Moss Rose surface.

Another four substitutes appeared on the hour, as Mark Yates rang the changes in the home ranks.

This certainly gave some fresh legs to the Silkmen and they did take the game to the Reds, with a left wing cross reaching Mikes Welch Hayes at the back of the box, with the fullback's header not far off target.

There was a yellow card for Welch Hayes on 69 minutes, as he crunched into the Roberts from behind. Even in a friendly that is going to get into the book!

As we entered the last phase of the match, Marrking Carrington was sent on for Roberts and shortly afterwards, Harry Smith replaced Tyrone Marsh in the home line-up.

There was an equaliser on 77 minutes, when Harry Smith's flick header found the net off the inside of an upright, as the substitute striker connnected with Welch Hayes' cross from the right.

With Whitaker pulling the strings in midfield, the Silkmen looked a different team - although he did miss a sitter on 80 minutes, when set up by Harry Smith's neat step over.

Fondop continued his efforts up front, after Leo Smith had replaced Holroyd. Our final change was to bring on scholar Matty Sargent for Summerfield with five minutes remaining.

James Jennings cleared a Keith Lowe header off his own line, following an corner on 88 minutes, as the home team were searching for a late winner.

Macclesfield Town: Taylor, Welch Hayes, Trialist (Rose 60), Lowe, J Pearson, Trialist (Arthur 46), Stephens (Wilson 60), Evans (Whitaker 46), Lloyd (Fitzpatrick 60), Marsh (H Smith 73), Blissett (Hodgkiss 60).
Subs: Trialist, Kelleher, Grimes.

Wrexham: Lainton (Dibble 46), Roberts (Carrington 72), M Smith, Tharme, Jennings, Summerfield (Sargent 85), Young, Wright, Rutherford, Fondop, Holroyd (L Smith 77).

Referee: Matthew Donohue
Attendance: 648
Away: 213

Booking -
Welch Hayes (69, foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube