REPORT | Maidenhead 1-2 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 08 Aug 2017

It was a hard fought, but no less welcome win for Wrexham on the road.

As two goals from Manny Smith saw off a spirited challenge from the Magpies, who had hit an equaliser through Dave Tarpey to give themselves some hope.

A first ever National League game on the oldest continuously used football club ground in the world – also their first segregated fixture!

It was a full 10 minutes before the visitors found a way through the Maidenhead defence with Marcus Kelly whipping over a cross that Ntumba Massanka rose high to meet, but in the end the ball span away harmlessly.

This was the spark for a period of Wrexham pressure, as first Jennings and then Scott Boden saw efforts blocked.

The Magpies responded with a swift break and Harry Pritchard’s shot across the Wrexham goal was turned away by Chris Dunn, before Jennings blocked Harold Odametey’s follow up effort.

On 23 minutes, Mark Carrington took a sore one to his right ankle and although he hobbled back into his own half, he required attention from physio Phil Davies before being able to continue.

Keeper Carl Pentney was called on to keep our Boden’s effort from 20 yards, palming the ball away round his left-hand post for a corner. It was a chance set up down the right, with ball being cross for Kelly, to then be pulled back to Boden for the shot.

There was a left off for the Dragons on 34 minutes, when the Wrexham defence tried to let the ball run out of play, Odametey was having none of it, instead heading for goal but blazing his effort across the face of the visitors’ goal and away into the night sky.

The opening goal came on 40 minutes, when Manny Smith beat keeper Pentney to head home a free kick delivered with precision by Kelly.

Wrexham's Manny Smith scores his first goal at Maidenhead United

Not that lead was to last long, as two minutes later Dave Tarpey drew the home side level, when the Wrexham defence failed to clear the ball following a free kick from the half way line and the forward steered home his effort, with a low drive inside the left-hand post.

As we moved into added time, Kelly found room on the left and fired over a cross that just evaded two on rushing yellow shirts.

Ht 1-1

A free kick to United on 48 minutes, conceded by Boden 30-ayrds out was taken by Pritchard, but his shot carried into the terracing behind Dunn’s goal.

Shortly afterwards another Maidenhead attack saw the ball pulled back for James Comley, but he pulled his effort well wide.

A first substitution came on 52 minutes, as Jack Mackreth was sent on for Rutherford in a straight right-wing change.

Comley was involved again on 55 minutes when he tried a long-range effort that had some power but was well taken by Dunn.

It was then Boden’s turn to test the home defence and his long-range shot was blocked as Dean Inman threw himself in front of it, deflecting the ball away for a corner.

Sean Marks was booked for a foul on Manny Smith, as the defender cleared the ball up field. He was immediately replaced by Jake Hyde.

Goalscorer Tarpey created his own chance on 69 minutes, turning away from Smith before his shot was blocked for a corner.

Wrexham's Manny Smith scores his second goal at Maidenhead United

A foul by Upward on Kelly, saw the latter deliver his set piece in for Massanka to collect spin round 10-yards out, but unable to get his shot away before being tackled.

On 77 minutes, Wrexham managed to nudge back in front when Many Smith helped himself to a second goal on the night.

Following a corner, the big centre back stayed up front and when Jack Mackreth left footed cross came in from the right wing, Manny got inbetween Boden, Inman and Clerima to head home from six yards, giveing the keeper no chance, but sending the travelling supporters wild.

Akil Wright came on after 81 minutes for Boden. Just after a double change for the Magpies.

A quick break by Wright saw him and Massanka face three defenders, but as the pass to Tums was played, the assistant raised his flag for offside.

There was one last scare as home captain Alan Massey got his head to a cross into the Wrexham box and Dunn had to tip the effort away for a corner.

The Dragons managed to see out the four added minutes to claim their first three points of the new season.

Maidenhead United: Pentney, Clerima, Odametey (Barratt 80), Massey, Inman, Tarpey, Comley, Marks (Hyde 60), Pritchard (Clifton 80), Upward, Kilman.
Subs: Goodman, Mulley.

Wrexham: Dunn, Roberts, Pearson, M Smith, Jennings, Rutherford (Mackreth 52), Carrington, Wedgbury, Kelly, Boden (Wright 81), Massanka (Hurst 90+3).
Subs: Dibble, L Smith

Referee: S Barrow
Attendance: 1,631
Away: 361

Bookings -
Maidenhead: Marks (59, foul)

Photographs courtesy of Alun Roberts (AJAR)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube