REPORT | Maidenhead United 0-2 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 14 Aug 2018

The Reds rose to the top of the table on the back of this convincing success 2-0 win at Maidenhead United.

Mike Fondop got the ball rolling with a neat finish from 12-yards and then Jordan Maguire-Drew sealed the points with a contender for goal of the month.

Both Kevin Roberts and Luke Young had not recovered in time for this game, so Mark Carrington, Paul Rutherford and Rekeil Pyke all started with Stuart Beavon on the bench.

Meanwhile, back following injuries were Nicky Deverdics and Chris Holroyd, the pair being named as substitutes.

After some sparing at both ends, the first effort of the evening was delivered by Maidenhead's left winger Max Worsfold, who forced a save out of Rob Lainton on seven minutes and won his side a corner.

Once the Reds cleared that danger, they broke down their right and Luke Summerfield raced into the home penalty, before releasing a rising shot that clattered into the empty terracing behind Carl Pentney's goal.

The opening goal came on 14 minutes, when a high Jordan Maguire-Drew ball into the United six-yard box, saw the home keeper climb over Rekeil Pyke to punch clear, but he only knocked it as far as the in rushing Mike Fondop who dispatched his effort into the back of the net from 15-yards.

This was right in front of the large travelling support who celebrated with the players.

On 25 minutes, Shaun Pearson had the ball in the home net, following a lovely cushioned header over the goalkeeper, but the referee ruled it out for a clash between Manny Smith and a defender, although frst impression was that the United player simply lost his footing - maybe the video will show different.

Then two minutes later, Maguire-Drew produced a superb solo effort when cutting in from the right and unleashing an unstoppable effort from 20-yards that flew passed the diving Pentney.

Trying to get in the act next was Akil Wright from 30-yards, but this time the shot carried high over the relieved keeper.

The chances kept coming, as on 32 minutes Mark Carrington's cross cleared the head of ex-Red Christian Smith and leaping to make contact with the ball was Fondop, but his powerful header flew just inches wide of the target.

Three minutes before the break and the home side came close to narrowing the gap, when a long cross field ball was met by the off-balance Adrian Clifton, who still managed to get his header on target and struck the top of the Wrexham crossbar - a warning that while they might be down, they certainly weren't out for the count.

Then as we moved into added time, Ryan Bird got on the end of another cross and sent his effort looping onto the top of the Welshmen's net.

The referee then going back to book Paul Rutherford for an overzealous challenge on the halfway line - our first caution of the season.

Both teams started the second period in lively fashion with Fondop attempting a sideways scissors kick, before Rutherford raced onto a return pass through the middle but was denied by the out rushing Pentney.

Facing down the slope after the break, the Reds were urged on by their large and noisey band of travelling supporters, who were counted as 376. 

It took a last gasp block by James Jennings to deny Nano Owusu at the back post and the same player had a low shot that seemed to go narrowly wide, but the referee awarded a corner to United.

First change of the evening saw Chris Holroyd come on for Maguire-Drew after 65 minutes, the Brighton youngster getting a standing ovation from the Dragons faithful.

Holroyd's first contribution was to run down the right wing before pulling a pass back into the path of Pyke, whose first-time effort carried about a yard over the home cross bar from the edge of the box.

More Maidenhead pressure from a corner, saw the ball cleared only as far as Christian Smith on the edge of the box, but his effort carried high into the night sky.

Stuart Beavon was then sent on after 72 minutes, with Pyke giving way up front.

Shortly afterwards, Clifton was left holding his head in his hands, as his free header from eight yards carried wide of the target for the Maidenhead forward.

Next it was Wrexham's turn not to take advantage of a good breakaway, as Fondop pulled the ball back for the onrushing Summerfield, but the pass was a bit short and a defender was able to get a foot in to clear the danger.

Maidenhead substitute Josh Kelly then passed on another chance, when the ball fell invitingly for him on the right of the goal, but he skewed his effort across the face of the goal.

Final change for manager Sam Ricketts was to introduce Nicky Deverdics for Mike Fondop, completing a set of fresh legs up front for the visitors with eight minutes remaining.

An added three minutes were played as the Reds enjoyed their second away win in two trips.

Maidenhead United: Pentney, Clermia, Odametey, Obileye, Comley, Bird, Worsfold, Cole, Clifton (Sheckleford 82), Owusu (Kelly 68), C Smith.
Subs: Alves, Akintude, Mulley.

Wrexham: Lainton, Carrington, M Smith, Pearson, Jennings, Summerfield, Wright, Rutherford, Pyke (Beavon 72), Fondop (Deverdics 79), Maguire-Drew (Holroyd 65).
Subs: Dibble, Tharme.

Referee: Tom Reeves (West Mids)
Attendance: 1,584
Away: 376

Booking -
Rutherford (45, foul)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube