REPORT | Maidenhead United 2-0 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 28 Dec 2019

Despite looking to follow up their Boxing Day win, the Reds fell behind early on and then gifted their hosts a second shortly after the break, without ever posing much of a threat to former Wrexham keeper Chris Dunn in the home goal.

Danny Whitehall fired a double for the Magpies, the opener midway through the first half and then the second following a poor Wrexham clearance seven minutes after the break.

While we can count ourselves unfortunate in some defeats this season, this was not one of those occasions though, as Maidenhead bounced back from their 3-0 loss at Notts County 48 hours earlier to take a deserved win.

Wrexham’s first real venture up the slope at York Road came on seven minutes, when Devonte Redmond broke out of defence following a corner, got to half way line before feeding  the ball into forward for JJ Hooper, but while the striker had some space on the right flank, he was closed down and his resulting angled shot carried over Chris Dunn’s cross bar.

On 18 minutes, we did get caught upfield, after Bobby Grant went down under challenge in the middle of the park, but the referee played on, as he did in a similar situation a few minutes later, leaving James Jennings to try and cover back, as a cross came in from their right flank reached midfielder James Comley, who side stepped two challenges before getting a shot away that was happily blocked and cleared to safety.

Wrexham were building attacked patiently towards the area where the travelling fans were housed, but they were not getting in behind the home defence.

Then on 23 minutes, a long ball down their left wing allowed Seth Twumasi to get behind Tyler Reid and as the full back chased back looking to regain possession, the winger spotted striker Danny Whitehall available 15-yards out and his pass allowed the forward to fire across Rob Lainton and score inside the far post.

A minute later and a foul on Grant, allowed Luke Summerfield to curl his shot round the defensive wall and force Dunn into a diving save away to his right.

There was a booking for Tyler on the half hour, as James Akintunde got around him, but was brought to ground.

A few minutes later, after what appeared to be a back pass to the United keeper, the referee indicating it came off the defender’s thigh, United broke forward and Shamir Fenelon bore down on Lainton’s goal, until the keeper sprinted forward to take the ball off the attacker’s toes.

Shortly before the interval, Fenelon received treatment on the pitch, after going to the turf holding his left leg and was then replaced by Josh Kelly.

On 45 minutes, a high ball forward set Grant away down the left, but his angled drive spun away into the terraces behind Dunn’s goal.

Ht 1-0

Akintunde had an early opportunity after the break, as he got to the Wrexham by line, but he could only fire well wide when handily placed.

Lainton had more work to do when Kieran Kennedy headed the ball back to him, not realising the keeper was well off his line and he had to smartly grab at the ball.

The keeper than made a horrible mistake by sending his clearance off the ground straight to Danny Whitehall on 52 minutes and the Maidenhead striker wasn’t going to look a gift horse in the mouth, as he fired home passed the stranded stopper.

This sparked a double substitution for Wrexham as Redmond was replaced by Omari Patrick and Reid by Paul Rutherford on 56 minutes.

With Wrexham pushing forward on 63 minutes, a long Maidenhead pass set Akintunde away, Rutherford covered back, but the winger was able to cut inside and force a save from Lainton.

Four minutes later and Shaun Pearson broke up a United attack, pushing the ball forward to Grant, who in turn set Patrick free through the middle, but the forward’s shooting let him down on this occasion, as his dragged his effort a foot wide of the right hand post from the edge of the home penalty area.

As we moved into the final 15 minutes, a cross field ball from Comely carried over Lawlor and dropped for Akintunde at the back post, who miserably failed to hot the target with the goal at his mercy. While Remy Clerima also failed to test Lainton a minute later from 15-yards out.

Then on 78 minutes, Mark Carrington replaced Lawlor.

After former Airbus forward Jake Cassidy was sent on for Maidenhead, Rutherford tried his luck from distance, but his effort carried over Dunn’s goal.

Jennings then left his frustration get the better of him and was booked for a foul in the centre circle.

Carrington and Hooper exchanged several passes in the edge of the home box but ran out of space as the black and white shirts closed in on them.

Lainton and Pearson slide into each other to deny Cassidy, but at the expense of a corner in the final minute of the match.

As we played out three minutes of added time, Hooper did get on the end of a Jennings corner, but the striker was back peddling and his header carried into the terraces.

It’s now onto Chorley on New Year’s Day for another a crunch fixture, with a much improved performance required.

Maidenhead United: Dunn, Clerima, Ellul, Fenelon (Kelly 42), Comley, Whitehall (Cassidy 82), Twumasi, Sheckleford, Akintunde (Steer 90), Upward, Massey.
Subs: Mensah, Smile.

Wrexham: Lainton, Reid (Rutherford 55), Kennedy, Lawlor (Carrington 78), Pearson, Jennings, Redmond (Patrick 55), Summerfield, Young, Grant, Hooper.
Subs: Dibble, Harris.

Referee: Steven Copeland (Merseyside)
Attendance: 1,472
Away: 200ish

Bookings –
Wrexham: Tyler (30, foul), Jennings (84, foul)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube