REPORT | Nantwich Town 1-0 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 22 Jul 2017

Nantwich took the honours in this latest pre-season game, thanks to a tremendous finish from Welshman Jordan Davies, who fired the Dabbers in front after just 12 minutes.

Despite constant pressure from the visitors throughout the 90 minutes, the home side were able to hold onto their advantage

A trio of Wrexham first teamers were rested after collecting niggles, in Jack Mackreth, Chris Holroyd and Sam Wedgbury.

While James Jennings was back following early exit at Warrington on Tuesday evening, a game Olly Marx also missed due to a knock.

The first opening of the afternoon saw a lovely ball sent over the top for Scott Boden to take with his back to goal six-yards out. Although as he spun to get his shot away, the Nantwich keeper Fabian Speiss was quick to react and advanced to block the effort.

A mistake by the Wrexham defence on 12 minutes, allowed former Prestatyn Town forward Jordan Davies to collect the ball and fire a rising effort into the top left-hand corner of the Wrexham net, from the edge of the box.

Wrexham went back on the attack and Kelly’s effort from distance was deflected away for a corner. The same player then delivered a succession of five flag kicks in from the right, as the visitors put on the pressure.

The rain then started to fall heavily on the excellent Weaver Stadium pitch, making the ball travel even faster across the slick surface.

Davies for the Dabbers was looking a constant threat, using his pace well against the Wrexham back line.

Wrexham's Akil Wright on the ball at Nantwich Town

A ball through the centre on 31 minutes opened up the Nantwich defence and should have brought the equaliser. As Trialist B touched it on and allowed Akil Wright to break clear, with on the keeper to beat he guided the ball wide of the advancing Spiess but also the wrong side of the left-hand post.

A free kick delivered in by Leo Smith was well won by Spiess, jumping high punch away, but it only dropped for Hurst to fire a first-time effort that made its way passed several defenders, but only hit the prone body of the home keeper on the ground!

Another quick Wrexham break was set up by Kelly in midfield, finding Boden who in turn set Rutherford on the right for a low effort that carried across the face of the home goal.

On the mark of half time, Trialist B won the ball back in midfield, found Kelly who rode one challenge before squaring for Wright to try his luck from distance, but the resulting shot carried well high of the home goal.

Ht: 1-0

At the break, Nantwich introduced three new faces, including centre back Clayton MacDonald, as they changed tactics to a three centre halves.

Manny Smith was unlucky at an attacking corner, when he won a header, but his effort was blocked inside the six-yard box. Shortly afterwards Trialist B had a shot deflected away for another corner, as the Reds made a bright start to the second half.

A triple switch for Wrexham on 55 minutes, as Pearson, Roberts and Carrington were introduced for Manny Smith, Hurst and Kelly.

A quick pull back by Rutherford found Wright, but his first-time effort carried well over the Nantwich crossbar.

A cross in from Roberts saw Trialist B try a spectacular scissor kick, but he hit the ball into the ground and it almost became an assist as Boden was onto the ball, although his shot was blocked.

Another period of Wrexham on 64 minutes, culminated with Carrington standing up the ball for Trialist B to get a clean head to the cross, but he couldn’t direct his effort on target from eight yards.

Wrexham's Paul Rutherford runs towards goal at Nantwich Town

Picking the ball up in midfield, Wright had a third effort at goal from distance but had no better luck on this occasion, as it carried well off target.

There was a chance for scholar Niall Freeman on 72 minutes, when he replaced Boden in a straight swap.

A last gasp diving block by the home defender denied Carrington, as he arrived late into the box and connected well with Leo Smith’s cross from the left.

Another wasted chance on 76 minutes, as a poor home clearance was seized on by Trialist B, but he could only shank his effort wide of the far post with the keeper struggling to recover his ground.

After Wright was dumped to the ground by McDonald, Wrexham played on and Leo Smith’s curling effort from the corner the box was only inches wide of the back post.

After Leo Smith went down injured, he was replaced by Brandon Burrows with four minutes remaining.

The massed ranks of Nantwich defenders did their job and held Wrexham at bay.

Nantwich Town: Spiess (Burzynski 76), Bourne, Morgan (Lingard 58), Stair, Webster, Hall (Davies 85), Hassall (Jones 46), Mullarkey (McDonald 46), Clayton (Trialist B 78), Davies (Mullarkey 83), Evans (Baxendale 46).
Subs: Trialist A.

Wrexham: Dibble, Hurst (Roberts 55), M Smith (Pearson 55), Marx, Jennings, Rutherford, Wright, Kelly (Carrington 55), L Smith (Burrows 86), Boden (Freeman 73), Trialist B.
Subs: Kirkham, Tharme, McHarrie.

Referee: Richard Abson (Cheshire)
Attendance: 927
Away: 600ish

Photographs courtesy of Jim Roberts

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube