REPORT | Notts County 1-1 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sun 18 Aug 2019

Our first return to Meadow Lane in over a decade ended in the same scoreline as our previous visit and a score draw was probably a fair result.

County had taken a second half lead through Kristian Dennis’ sweet header, before Devonte Redmond levelled matters a few minutes later with a lovely finish of his own.

An amazing travelling support of 1,593 roared on the Reds, but we just couldn’t do enough on the day to fully reward those who had made the effort to be in Nottingham.

The first serious attempt on goal came after 10 minutes, when Regan Booty had a sight of goal from 18-yards and unleashed an effort that the diving Christian Dibble had to push away for a corner.
This lead to a succession of corner kicks, as the Reds were put under some pressure by the Magpies.

A few minutes later and Wes Thomas a ball across the face of the Wrexham goal, but evaded everyone on its path, including fellow County striker Kristian Dennis at the back post.

Wrexham responded with a Luke Summerfield free kick from out on the left wing, which was delivered to the edge of the six-yard box, as four red shirts looked to get on the end of it, but only for centre half Sam Graham to avert the danger for the home side.

With Wrexham temporarily down to 10-men shortly before the break, as Mark Harris changed his boots, County almost took advantage when the ball ran kindly for Mitch Rose to try his luck from distance, but his fierce effort carried inches wide of Dibble’s right-hand post.

Then Thomas escaped a challenge on the left for Notts and as he bore down on goal, Dibbs was quickly off his line to make a fine block.

Wrexham were pushing forward on the break, but too often the final pass was either over hit or the County defence snubbed out the danger.

Ht 0-0

County’s first attack of the second half saw Enzio Boldewijn make some good yards on the left before firing over an effort that cleared Dibble’s far post by a few feet.

A quick throw in on the halfway line, saw JJ Hooper control the ball in the middle of the pitch, before playing it through to Harris on the right. The striker’s low cross into the box failed to reach a red shirt.

The on-loan Cardiff City man was close with a shot as Wrexham racketed up the pressure, another flowing move that ended at the young Welshman’s feet.

Then Summerfield tried his luck from distance but watched on as his effort sailed only inches wide of the target.

Then a mistake by the Reds when clearing their lines saw Thomas facing goal on the edge of our box, but a timely block by skipper Shaun Pearson denied the Notts debutant.

Home captain Michael Doyle was then booked on 63 minutes for up ending Paul Rutherford on the wing.

But there was a let off a few minutes later as Redmond lost the ball in midfield and a great through pass from Regan Booty allowed Thomas a free run at goal, but again the striker was unable to capitalise on his advantage

On 78 minutes, the home side did take the lead as a deep cross evaded Dibble at the back post and Dennis stole in to squeeze his header into the net from a very tight angle.

With their tails up Booty tried an effort of his own from 20-yards that had some venom in it but was always carrying high over the Wrexham goal.

Their lead didn’t last for long though and Devonte Redmond had the near 1,600 travelling fans on their feet on 74 minutes.

Jazzi Barnum-Bobb pushed forward deep into the County half, before laying the ball to Redmond

Wit 15 minutes remaining, Neal Ardley made a double change as he replaced Dennis and Booty with Nathan Tyson and Jim O’Brien respectively.

After their double change the home side wasted a great chance as Tyson slashed at a pull back and fired high into the Kop Stand.

Then Bryan Hughes sent on Akil Wright for Young, and shortly afterwards Redmond gave way to Leighton McIntosh.

Straight from the restart the Wrexham defence was almost breeched again as Boldewijn had plenty of space on the right, but the shot was blocked by Dibble, who the held onto the rebound as home strikers descended on him.

An additional four minutes were indicated, but no further goals were scored as the teams had to be satisfied with a draw.

Notts County: Slocombe, McCroy, Rose, Turner, Thomas (Osborne 89), Doyle, Dennis (Tyson 76), Boldewijn, Rawlinson, Booty (O’Brien 76), Graham.
Subs: Fitzsimmons, Bakayogo.

Wrexham: Dibble, Barnum-Bobb, Chambers, Pearson, Jennings, Summerfield, Redmond (McIntosh 86), Young (Wright 81), Rutherford, Hooper, Harris.
Subs: Szczepaniak, Carrington, Barton.

Referee: Tom Reeves
Attendance: 6,262
Away: 1,593

Bookings -
Notts County:
Doyle (63, foul)
Wrexham: Barnum-Bobb (79, foul)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube