REPORT | Salford City 2-0 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 01 Jan 2019

Salford gained some revenge for their Boxing Day hammering at the Racecourse, as goals from Matt Green and Rory Gaffney saw them home.

Green found the target in the first half and Gaffney ended any Wrexham revival with their second on the hour.

The visitors won the first corner on three minutes, but unlike at the Racecourse, our opponents were able to clear the danger.

At the other end, there seemed to be a good shout for handball against Salford, but the referee played on and as Salford searched for a shooting position the ball fell to Danny Whitehead, but the midfielder pulled his effort just wide from the edge of the box.

Next up was a rasping drive by left back Ibou Touray, that Lainton tipped away as the bar also rattled.

As the visitors looked to clear their lines, the Ammies collected the ball in midfield and Matt Green cut in from the right, firing an angled drive that Lainton did well to block with one hand.

We were only 10 m9inutes in and Whitehead had another chance, when he jumped between Akil Wright and James Jennings to win a header at the back post, before putting Touray’s cross just wide of the goal.

Salford took the lead on 22 minutes, when a free kick was headed away, but dropped for Matt Green, who in turn hit a low effort through legs that found its way inside the Lainton’s right hand upright.

Wrexham responded with a free kick from Beavon, wide on the left, that Jake Lawlor got his head to, but passed the wrong side of the back post.

While the home side held the upper hand, it wasn’t until the 37th minute before they really threatened again, picking up on some slack play by the visitors, they quickly moved the ball forward, opening up space for Rory Gaffney to fire from distance, but Lainton was able to hold on.

A change at the half, with Ben Tollitt on for Beavon.

For the second time in the game, the match referee had a long chat with Green, after he had brought down Jennings – and for the second time, the Salford striker escaped with just a stern talking too!

Pearson though was booked for fouling Whitehead on 51 minutes, as Salford man sped into the Wrexham half. Tom Walker took the kick from 30-yards, but Lainton was behind it.

Wrexham, urged on by another mass travelling support, looked to lift the pace and Brad Walker stung Chris Neal’s hands from distance, forcing a corner.

A second change for the Dragons came on 57 minutes, with Luke Young replacing Wright.

Summerfield was next up with a shot, as he forced the City keeper to tip his effort over the bar for a corner.

Despite Wrexham gaining the upper hand at this stage, especially with Tollitt running at the home defence, it was Tom Walker who turned the Wrexham backline to create a second goal for Salford.

His ball inside allowed Gaffney to pick his spot and fire a shot passed Lainton just after the hour.

A final change for Wrexham, saw Kevin Roberts on for Mark Carrington with 67 minutes on the clock, before Young was booked for a foul in midfield.

Wrexham did go back on the attack, looking for a way back into the match, but the three centre halves they had faced all afternoon were giving little quarter.

Skipper Liam Hogan managed to miss the target with his header on 78 minutes, as he got a free effort from a Salford free kick.

Bobby Grant won an 82nd minute free kick for Wrexham and from 25-yards Jennings’ effort was palmed behind by Neal. Summerfield’s corner was aimed at Lawlor and while the big man made good contact with his head, the ball carried just over the crossbar.

City made a double change late in the day with Green and Gaffney going off, as City eased to the three points.

Salford City: Neal, Wiseman, Touray, Hogan, Pond, Piergianni, Nolan, Whitehead, Gaffney (Dieseruvwe 85), Green (Brockbank 85), T Walker.
Subs: Crocombe, Brockbank, Lloyd, Dieseruvwe, Rooney.

Wrexham: Lainton, Carrington (Roberts 67), Lawlor, Pearson, Jennings, Summerfield, Wright (Young 57), B Walker, Rutherford, Beavon (Tollitt 46), B Grant.
Subs: Dibble, Holroyd.

Referee: Andrew Miller (Co Durham)
Attendance: 4,044
Away: 1,400

Bookings -
Wrexham: Pearson (51, foul), Young (70, foul)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube