REPORT | Sutton United 1-1 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 17 Feb 2018

Scott Quigley was back on target again as he handed the visitors a first half lead, but the home side earned a share of the spoils a minute after the break when Simon Walton levelled the score.

The first chance of the afternoon fell to Chris Holroyd after six minutes, when he was put through on the left and with the keeper to beat from a tight angle, his shot aimed at the far post was tipped away by Jamike Butler.

From Nicky Deverdics’ right wing corner, Quigley rose at the near post to head on, but the ball carried across the face of the home goal with no one able to get on the end of it.

A minute later and Quigley went to ground under challenge in the United box, he appealed loudly, but referee Alan Young was not impressed.

The on-loan Blackpool striker was then booked following a serious of fouls, none of them nasty, but they obviously wore down the patience of the match official.

Another free kick against the Reds was conceded by Deverdics on 16 minutes, 10 yards outside the box and directly in front of goal. After a lengthy discussion between the referee and skipper Shaun Pearson, Tommy Wright finally stepped up to take it, but sent his effort sailed a couple of feet over Chris Dunn’s cross bar.

Then on 20 minutes, Quigley showed his worth once again, as when the ball was played through by Scott Boden, the big man beat the offside trap and from 15-yards fired an unstoppable effort into the back of the home net.

Scott Quigley fires his goal at Gander Green Lane

Sutton were struggling again a few minutes later, when a flowing Wrexham move opened them up once more. With bodies forward in support, Chris Holroyd saw his low shot from the edge of the box pass a foot the wrong side of the right hand upright.

Manny Smith was yellow carded for kicking the ball away on 28 minutes, after Pearson had conceded the free kick in the first place, on the half way line.

There was a moment of concern in the Wrexham area on 39 minutes, when Kieron Cadogan’s left wing cross was not dealt with six-yards out and it took a blocking effort from Pearson to deny the home side a shot on target.

Ht 0-1

The equaliser came a minute or so into the second half, when a corner was headed against the Wrexham crossbar and the defence failed to clear the ball as it dropped, giving Simon Walton the chance to poke the ball home from close range.

Spurred on by their goal, United lifted the pace and from another half clearance, Kevin Roberts had to throw his body in front a Cadogan effort from the edge of the box.

A change on 62 minutes, saw Jonathan Franks replace Boden for the visitors. With the substitute going onto the left flank, thus releasing Holroyd to join Quigley in attack.

The next change had Sutton's Kenny Davis on for Cadogan after 70 minutes, which was followed 10 minutes later by a double switch with Adam Coombes and Bradley Hudson-Odai replacing Craig Eastmond and Tommy Wright. 

There was then a flurry of yellow cards, which littered a game that was really going nowhere, before Akil Wright came on for Kelly with 86 minutes played.

Shaun Pearson heads the ball away

Things though did lift in the closing stages, as a flighted cross in from Bolarinwa on the right wing was headed goalwards by their new signing Byron Harrison and it skimmed the top of the Wrexham cross bar.

An added four minutes were indicated, as Jack Mackreth was readied on the sidelines as a late replacement for Quigley.

Wrexham then had a chance as a shot by Wright was cleared, rebounded toward Franks, but at too fast a pace for the winger to capitalise on it.

There was still time for Hudson-Odoi to have a shot deflected by Wright and as the ball spun towards the Wrexham goal, Dunn had to tip it away for a corner.

That though was final action of the afternoon.

Sutton United: Butler, John, Collins, Cadogan (Davis 70), Eastmond (Coombes 80), T Thomas, T Wright (Hudson-Odoi 80), Walton, Downer, Bolarinwa, Harrison.
Subs: A Thomas, Dundas.

Wrexham: Dunn, K Roberts, M Smith, Pearson, Jennings, Deverdics, Wedgbury, Kelly (A Wright 86), Holroyd, Boden (Franks 62), Quigley (Mackreth 90).
Subs: Dibble, Raven.

Referee: A Young (Cambs)
Attendance: 2,621
Away: 441

Bookings -
Collins (74, time wasting), Coombes (83, foul)
Wrexham: Quigley (13, foul), M Smith (28, time wasting), Pearson (77, dissent), Kelly (84, foul)

Photographs courtesy of Alun Roberts (AJAR Photogtaphics)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube