REPORT | Torquay United 0-0 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 09 Sep 2017

On a blustery afternoon in Devon, there was little to separate the two teams at Plainmoor - as the Reds did atleast extend their run of cleansheets to four games..

Wrexham had the better of  the few chances, Manny Smith hitting the cross bar with his header and Alex Reid's shot on the run forcing a great save from the home keeper, but in the end no way through.

A free kick to Torquay on five minutes was crossed into the Wrexham box, headed clear by Shaun Pearson, but dropping favourably for McGinty to try his luck from distance, although it sailed out of the ground.

On the quarter of an hour, a lucky bounce allowed Gray to set up Dowling for a shot from distance, although Reid was able to get a leg in the way and divert it away for a corner.

It was 27 minutes before Wrexham had their first real effort, Hurst breaking on the right before working the ball to the left, where Jennings nutmegged his marker before squaring along the 18-yard line. Massanka took it with his back to goal, before spinning and firing an effort wide of the left-hand post.

Hurst was forced off by injury on 34 minutes, after he extended himself when attempting to shoot on the previous Wrexham attack and was replaced by Kevin Roberts.

Despite this set back, the Reds were lifting their game and finishing the stronger as we headed towards the break.

On 44 minutes, a swift break down the left saw Wright set Rutherford away and his deep cross was met by the stretching Reid, who headed wide with the incoming Leo Smith behind, maybe a better option.

Ht 0-0

On 50 minutes, a nice exchange of passes between Rutherford and Massanka saw the pair work their way into the Torquay area.

Wrexham's Shaun Pearson on the ball at Torquay United

Then Roberts and Rutherford on the right combined to see the latter cross in and Gowling was happy to simply knock the ball behind for a corner.

Dibble was alert on 56 minutes to deal with a Young free kick from 25-yards, which he tipped over the bar for a corner. In the follow up, Wright was booked for a foul on Higgins.

Jennings was booked for pulling a shirt on 62 minutes and will be suspended for collecting five cautions.

Following a heavy challenge by Wedgbury in his own half, the Reds broke quickly with Reid scampering away down the left and despite two yellow shirts closing in in him, his effort from 15-yards forced keeper Dorel into a one hand block.

Manny Smith then saw his header at the back post, from a Rutherford corner, roll onto the top of the home crossbar.

On 69 minutes, Pitman was sent on for Keating and three minutes later it was Scott Boden on for Massanka.

The United sub was not far away with a long range shot in 77 minutes, as the game was getting stretched, with both sides committing to attack.

A Jennings free kick on 85 minutes, saw the Wrexham attackers get on the end of the flighted ball, but Manny Smith’s header was over the bar when well-placed rushing in on goal.

Three minutes of added time failed to produce a goal.

Torquay United: Dorel, McGinty, Gowling, Young, Keating (Pitman 69), Gray, J Reid, Haworth, Higgins, Dowling, Cole.
Subs: Efete, Anderson, Fallon, Osborn.

Wrexham: Dibble, Hurst (Roberts 34), M Smith, Pearson, Jennings, Rutherford, Wedgbury, Wright, L Smith (Carrington 89), Massanka (Boden 72), A Reid.
Subs: Dunn, Holroyd.

Referee: S Barrow (West Midlands)
Attendance: 1,841
Away: 251

Bookings -
Torquay United: Gowling (74, foul)
Wrexham: Wright (57, foul), Jennings (62, foul)

Photographs - Alun Roberts (AJAR Photographics)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube