REPORT | Woking 2-2 Wrexham

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 17 Mar 2018

Another two points dropped by the Reds, but it was an outstanding performance from the Woking keeper Nathan Baxter that even allowed his team to be in a position to salvage the draw.

No Manny Smith, who did travel, but was not risked, as David Raven continued alongside Shaun Pearson, with Mark Carrington at left back in James Jennings’ continued absence due to suspension.

Early pressure was from Wrexham as Woking constantly failed to clear their lines and several minutes of attacks ended with Sam Wedgbury firing in an effort from 25-yards, that had keeper Nathan Baxter diving full length as the ball whistled pass his left-hand post.

A disputed corner led to the home side taking the lead on 11 minutes, as Grego-Cox’s effort was judged by the officials to have come off a Wrexham leg.

When the corner came in from the left, Ross Staunton was at the back post to get his head to the cross and knock the ball home from close range.

Wrexham were denied a leveller moments later, as Wedgbury’s effort from distance was travelling, took a deflection off Joey Jones, but was still superbly saved by the diving Baxter, who was already going to his right for the initial shot.

On 20 minutes, the Woking defence could only half clear the ball and Kevin Roberts saw his effort from the edge of the box, bravely charged down by Grego-Cox, with the keeper already diving to his left in anticipation.

A quick break by Wrexham on 25 minutes, saw the ball worked out to Scott Quigley on the left, he drove forward, cut in and with only Chris Holroyd up with him, but closely marked by three men, choose to shoot from a tight angle and the ball flew across the face of the target.

The Cards were awarded a free kick 35-yards out, for a foul by Carrington that Banton took himself and forced Chris Dunn into a save.

The equaliser cane on 33 minutes when a sweeping move ended with Paul Rutherford sending a low cross behind the home defence, that worked its way into the net.

Not obvious at first viewing if a defender got a touch or it would have gone in anyway but nestling in the back net was the final outcome!

Right on the whistle for half time and Woking produced their best passing to free up striker Theophanous for a shot that Dunn blocked, and the ball was then cleared down field.

Ht 1-1

Wrexham had the first attack after the break with a nice passing move that swept across the pitch and fell to the feet of Carrington pushing on, although his shot finally off target.

Lovely ball from Marcus Kelly fed in Holroyd down the right channel, but once again it was Joey Jones who made the timely tackle at the expense of a corner.

The cross was half cleared at the near post and worked round to Kelly who tried his luck from distance and Baxter did so well to tip away

On 58 minutes, Pearson’s header was goal bound but touched away by Baxter, only for Raven to swoop, but his angled drive was blocked by Baxter once more.

After more heroics by the Woking keeper the ball came back out to Kelly on the right and his tremendously flighted effort finally beat Baxter on the hour. Although to be fair, the keeper did seem to get a hand to the effort but couldn’t keep it out.

A minute later and Baxter did tip over another Kelly effort from the edge of the box, for yet another corner to the visitors.

On 68 minutes, Baxter once again saved his side with a diving save to keep out Kelly’s free kick that curled round the wall from 18 yards. Quigley’s follow up was blocked, before Kelly came onto the loose ball to fire over the cross bar from 15-yards.

Baxter was quickly off his on 71 minutes to deny Holroyd, who had been put through on him by Quigley’s deft touch.

That was the on-loan striker’s last contribution as he was replaced by Scott Boden.

Kelly appeared to be fouled in midfield, the referee waved play on and the ‘offender’ Grego-Cox hit a tremendous effort from distance that came back off a post and was knocked behind by a defender.

But then Woking skipper Joey Jones scored from the corner on 80 minutes, as he got up highest in crowded box to head home from six-yards.

A double change for the Reds as Ainge and Wright were sent on for Kelly and Deverdics on 86 minutes.

A chance for both teams as Pearson’s didn’t connect with a loose ball a corner, but then at the other end Theophanous saw a fierce shot saved by Dunn.

Both teams threw caution to the wind in the four added minutes as the ball moved from end to end.

Grego-Cox went down under a heavy challenge by Pearson in the Wrexham box, but neither referee nor assistant was impressed. The Woking man’s protests earned a caution.

Then in the final minute, Ainge headed down Rutherford’s cross, but Boden blazed over from eight-yards with the goal at his mercy!

Woking: Baxter, Young (Ramsey 72), Ralph, J Jones, Staunton, Ferdinand, Carter, Charles-Cook, Banton (Saraiva 65), Grego-Cox, Theophanous.
Subs: Mason, Edwards, Orlu.

Wrexham: Dunn, Roberts, Raven, Pearson, Carrington, Rutherford, Wedgbury, Kelly (Ainge 86), Deverdics (Wright 86), Holroyd, Quigley (Boden 72).
Subs: Franks, Mackreth.

Referee: R Hulme (Gloucs)
Attendance: 1,458
Away: 300ish

Bookings -
Jones (58, foul), Grego-Cox (90+2, dissent)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube