Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 07 Aug 2018

Manager Sam Ricketts was denied a dream home debut at the Racecourse, as AFC Fylde weathered a second half Wrexham storm to earn both sides a point in an exciting 0-0 draw.

Ricketts’ attacking philosophy looked to be working, as Wrexham peppered the opposition goal with shots, but a lack of quality in the final third meant that the Dragons had to settle for a draw.

Wrexham had a chance ten minutes in, when a cross driven into the box caught the foot of the Zaine Francis-Angol, who nearly tipped the ball into his own net.

Rob Lainton saved Wrexham’s blushes 15 minutes in, when a loose ball found its way through to Ryan Croasdale, whose shot was denied by an excellent stop from the Wrexham keeper.

Mike Fondop came close to scoring on 25 minutes, after he headed over the bar from a decent James Jennings cross into the box.

Half time brought what was a relatively tight affair to a close, with neither team able to break the deadlock, or even create many clear-cut chances.

It looked like Wrexham had taken the lead just before the hour mark when Paul Rutherford headed in from a wonderful Jordan Maguire-Drew cross. Rutherford was half a yard offside though, and the goal was ruled out.

Wrexham began to pile on the pressure shortly afterwards, with the Reds having a lion’s share of the possession in the Fylde half, but couldn’t find a way through.

Luke Young very nearly scored 63 minutes in, with a wonderful shot from range that was just wide of the post.

Once again Wrexham came close to scoring with 15 minutes to go, this time courtesy of Shaun Pearson, who headed over from a corner.

Arlen Birch was booked late on for pulling Rekeil Pyke’s shirt, and the following free kick once again very nearly lead to a Wrexham goal.

Despite their best efforts, Wrexham could not find a way through and had to settle for a draw.

Wrexham: Lainton, Roberts, Jennings, Smith M, Pearson, Summerfield (Carrington 69), Young, Fondop (Beavon 59), Rutherford, Maguire-Drew (Pyke 87), Wright.
Subs: Dibble, Tharme.

AFC Fylde: Lynch, Francis-Angol, Byrne, Tunnicliffe (Birch 14), Bond, Hardy (Toure 80), Croasdale, Rowe, Philliskirk, Cardle (Tasdemir 64), Burke.
Subs: Griffiths, Hemmings.

Referee: Marc Edwards (Tyneside)
Attendance: 5,777
Away: 130

Bookings -
AFC Fylde: Birch (90, foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube