Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 01 Dec 2018

Wrexham held League Two Newport County to a goalless draw under the Racecourse floodlights to earn an FA Cup second round replay.

Both sides had chances to win what was an even contest in front of the BT Sport cameras, but the two sides will meet again in South Wales for a place in the third round.

Wrexham made three changes from the draw with Barrow in mid-week, with Mark Carrington, Paul Rutherford and Akil Wright all starting.

And the Dragons went toe-to-toe with their League Two opponents from the first whistle but chances were at a premium in the opening exchanges.

Paddy Amond crossed for Jamille Matt on 11 minutes but the County striker could not wrap his foot around it and Rob Lainton gathered.

Five minutes later, on his home debut, Bobby Grant held the ball up for Rutherford and claimed the return pass but his left-footed shot high into the Kop.

County captain Andrew Crofts was next to try his luck after a long throw-in was cleared to the edge of the box on 20 minutes, but his shot deflected over off Stuart Beavon.

At the other end, Brad Walker got a speculative long-range effort all wrong on 23 minutes – miscuing his shot high over the bar from 30 yards.

The Crewe loanee went closer two minutes later, after Akil Wright beat his man and crossed from the byline only for the ball to break loose, but Walker’s thunderous shot again went over.

Newport wing-back Dan Butler issued a warning to the Dragons on 26 minutes, however, when his left-footed drive flashed wide across goal with no team-mate able to steer it in.

Wrexham continued to create chances though, and Rutherford cut inside from the right on 32 minutes but his left-footed effort deflected wide across goal.

Three minutes later, Rutherford and Beavon linked up in the area and the ball fell to Grant but Joe Day parried his fierce shot clear, one-handed off the line.

Stuart Beavon thought he had given Wrexham the lead on 53 minutes, racing onto a long ball and lobbing Day, but Mickey Demetriou got back to clear off line.

Two minutes later, Mark Carrington drove forward from left-back but his right-footed shot was over.

Newport should have been in front on 58 minutes, when Dan Butler crossed for Tyreeq Bakinson in front of goal, but he somehow headed over.

Four minutes later, Crofts shot left-footed through a crowd of players but wide of the far post.

In response to the spell of Newport pressure, Walker made a driving run forward on 68 minutes and played in Grant, but his left-footed shot was into the side-netting.

Walker then went close himself on 74 minutes, from Luke Summerfield’s corner, but Day scooped his cross-shot clear at the second attempt.

Substitute Antoine Semenyo became the second Newport player to miss a gilt-edged chance when he headed over from close-range with ten minutes remaining.

Semenyo then wriggled free of his marker and shot low towards goal on 84 minutes but Lainton parried clear.

Grant then rattled the crossbar from close-range on 87 minutes but the linesman’s flag was up anyway as neither side managed to break the deadlock - the teams will now meet again at Newport's Rodney Parade.

Wrexham AFC: (4-1-3-2): Lainton, Roberts, Lawlor, Pearson, Carrington, Walker, Summerfield, Wright (Young 63), Rutherford (Jennings 76), Beavon (Fondop 84), Grant

Subs not used: Dibble, Smith, Holroyd, Deverdics

Newport County: (5-3-2): Day, Pipe, Franks, O’Brien, Demetriou, Butler, Bakinson, Crofts, Sheehan, Amond (Harris 90), Matt (Semenyo)

Subs not used: Foulston, Pring, Townsend, Cooper, Collins, Semenyo


Referee: Craig Hicks (Surrey)

Attendance: 5,295
Away: TBC


Wrexham: Walker (65, cynical foul)

Newport County: Sheehan (39, cynical foul), O’Brien (86, shirt pull)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube