REPORT | Wrexham 0-1 Macclesfield Town

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 05 Aug 2017

A bumper home crowd were unltimately sent home disappointed, as the Reds failed to break down a stubborn rear guard action from the visitors, who grabbed a lead on 12 minutes through Noe Baba and mainatined it until the final whistle.

There was also an early injury for striker Chris Holroyd, who appeared to dislocate his shoulder and could face a period on the sidelines.

Wrexham started off brightly, immediately winning a free kick deep into Macclesfield's half. Sam Wedgbury proved to be a tough opponent to Macclesfield early on as he went into battle with George Pilkington.

The Welshmen were nearly gifted a chance less than five minutes in, as Chris Holroyd won the ball just outside of the box. It took a great last-ditch tackle to stop him, but it could have been 1-0 very early on. Two minutes later Wrexham won a corner, though Wedgbury headed Rutherford's delivery just wide.

Holroyd proved to be a lively character early on, as he seemed quite happy to chase down balls and make great interceptions.

Ten minutes in and Wrexham had another great chance to score via Rutherford. A move that was started by Jennings saw the ball move its way from player to player across the box before finding the feet of the winger, who lobbed in a cross that was sadly just too close to the keeper.

Just two minutes later, Macclesfield took the lead against the run of play though, as Noe Baba scored a tremendous goal from some 20 yards out. The low driven shot was too much for Dunn and put Macclesfield in the lead. 

Despite the setback Wrexham continued to harry Macclesfield, with Holroyd once again unlucky to have a great shot blocked.

Twenty minutes in Wrexham's initial domination of the game began to fade away, as Macclesfield started to grab a foothold on the game.

Wrexham's Kevin Roberts v Macclesfield

Former Racecourse man Durrell tested the defence as he popped a dangerous cross into the box towards Tyrone Marsh, which fortunately came off his hand.

Wrexham started to claw their way back with their patient passing game, as they slowly but surely worked the ball towards the Macclesfield goal. A wonderful pass by Pearson to Rutherford created a great chance, as he linked up well with Roberts who created chaos in the away box.

In the 34th minute, Wrexham were forced into a substitution as Chris Holroyd came off injured, replacing him was Ntumba Massanka. The Burnley striker made an early impact, forcing ex-Red Shwan Jalal into a mistake, making him miss his kick and poke the ball out for a throw in.

Five minutes later and Wrexham had another great chance courtesy of Jennings and Boden. Jennings delivered a great ball in which found the diving head of Boden, whose header was deflected out for a corner.

Wrexham's greatest trait during the game was their ability to confuse the Macclesfield players with their speed and movement. Marcus Kelly very much embodied this as he worked well with Wedgbury to find himself in a great position to deliver another great ball in, but much like the other attempts was unfortunately headed away.

The half ended 1-0 to Macclesfield, but for a bit of luck the scores could have been reversed. Baba's shot was a good one but Wrexham certainly created enough chances themselves so could arguably be considered unlucky to be trailing.

Half Time | Wrexham 0-1 Macclesfield

Wrexham looked to start the second half with renewed vigour as they strived to turn around Macclesfield's lead. Kelly nearly put Wrexham's plan into motion immediately, as he cut inside from the wing to fire a shot at Jalal. Sadly, the shot was too tame and Jalal collected it easily.

Sam Wedgbury had been getting frustrated all afternoon and finally the referee had had enough five minutes into the second half. A needless barge on Baba earned him a yellow card.

After several minutes of midfield battling Wrexham won a corner on the 58th minute, but despite having several men in the box the Reds were unable to create a clear-cut chance from it.

Another great chance went begging just a few minutes later as Kelly's fantastic delivery to Wedgbury was headed over the bar.

Macclesfield nearly scored a second goal 66 minutes in, as Marsh volleyed the ball into the back of the net. But much to the relief of all the Wrexham fans Marsh was offside and the goal didn't stand.

Wrexham Sam Wedgbury v Macclesfield

Dean felt a change was in order as on the 74th minute Paul Rutherford made way for Jack Mackreth.

The crowd was incensed three minutes later as Kelly appeared to be brought down unfairly in the area, but the ref viewed it as a fair challenge and gave a corner instead.

Massanka had a great opportunity to equalise himself as he received the ball six yards out. The ball bounced at an awkward angle though and he couldn't get his head behind it.

With five minutes to go Akil Wright made his Wrexham debut, coming on for Mark Carrington in midfield.

There was some hope late on for Wrexham fans as the officials gave four added minutes. Pearson nearly made himself a legend as he attempted a scorpion flick a few yards out from goal.

A late corner gave Wrexham one last chance to rescue a point but sadly that was as good as it got. Despite their best efforts the Reds fell in the end to a frustrating loss to Macclesfield.

MOTM | Manny Smith

Wrexham | Dunn, Jennings, Smith, Pearson, Rurherford (Mackreth 72), Wedgbury, Carrington (Wright 85), Kelly, Holroyd (Massanka 34), Boden.
Subs | Dibble, Hurst.

Macclesfield Town | Jalal, Fitzpatrick, Lowe, Pilkington, Durrell (Richards 80), Marsh (Wilson 85), Lloyd, Baba, Yates, Burgess, Whitaker.
Subs | Kennedy, Hancox, Arthur.

Referee | N Hair
Attendance | 6,180
Away | 390

Words - Harry Wright
Photographs courtesy of Alun Roberts (AJAR Photographics)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube