Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 24 Nov 2018

Wrexham suffered their first home defeat of the season as league leaders Leyton Orient scored twice in the final five minutes to extend their lead at the top.

In a game of few chances, Orient proved more clinical with the opportunities that fell their way as Macauley Bonne and James Brophy snatched a late away win.

The defeat – also Wrexham’s first in 12 games – means Orient are now four points clear of the third-placed Dragons in the Vanarama National League.

Wrexham made three changes from the draw at Maidstone, including the return of goalscorer Brad Walker to the starting line-up ahead of Akil Wright.

Stuart Beavon and Mark Carrington also returned, with Mike Fondop and James Jennings joining Wright in dropping to the bench.

Orient were first to get a sight at goal but Josh Coulson’s back-post header from Jobi McAnuff’s free-kick on seven minutes was always dropping wide.

Moments later, at the other end, Kevin Roberts drove the ball in and Beavon hooked goalwards but straight at Dean Brill.

As expected, an even match was unfolding and McAnuff curled a 25-yard free-kick just wide on 18 minutes after Walker clattered Dale Gorman.

Walker’s quick free-kick released Rekeil Pyke mid-way through the half, who was too strong for his marker, but Brill deflected his low shot clear.

Beavon then produced a brilliant flick to turn Coulson on 33 minutes, before pulling back for Pyke, but he could not his shot goalwards.

A well-worked Wrexham move set Roberts up to cross for Pyke on 40 minutes, who headed inside to Beavon, but Widdowson blocked well.

The second-half started with similarly few chances, with a couple of Wrexham corners coming to nothing and Walker heading wide from Luke Young’s cross on 61 minutes.

Shaun Pearson then met Luke Summerfield’s 64th minute corner with a bullet header, which Brill saved superbly to his right.

At the other end, Myles Judd’s right-wing cross was bundled goalward at close-range by Josh Koroma on 69 minutes, but Rob Lainton saved and held on the line.

Wrexham made attacking changes in response, with Jennings, Fondop and Jordan Maguire-Drew replacing the front three.

And on 81 minutes, great work by Fondop released Young on the right, who crossed for Jennings, but his close-range header was straight at Brill.

Orient landed a sucker puck with five minutes remaining, however, when a corner fell loose in the area and top scorer Bonne hooked high into the net.

Koroma nearly doubled the lead two minutes later, cutting onto his right-foot after a direct run before curling in a 25-yard effort that bounced clear off the far post.

Substitute James Brophy sealed victory in the 90th minute, however, after Jake Lawlor’s weak header forced Lainton to head clear – only for the Orient man to lob straight back into an empty net.

Wrexham AFC: (4-3-3): Lainton, Roberts, Lawlor, Pearson, Carrington, Walker, Young, Summerfield, Rutherford (Jennings 78), Pyke (Maguire-Drew 82), Beavon (Fondop 78).
Subs: Dibble, Wright.

Leyton Orient: (4-4-1-1): Brill, Judd, Ekpiteta, Coulson, Widdowson, Coulson, Dayton (Brophy 68), Clay, Gorman (Alabi 85), McAnuff, Koroma, Bonne.
Subs: Janata, Happe, Harrold.

Referee: David Rock (Hertfordshire)
Attendance: 6,428
Away: 603

Bookings -
Walker (18, foul)
Leyton Orient: Dayton (58, foul), Gorman (82, foul), Bonne (88, time wasting), McAnuff (90, dissent)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube