REPORT | Wrexham 0-3 Stockport County

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 10 Apr 2021

Ex-Wrexham striker Alex Reid came back to haunt his former side as his first-half double helped Stockport to victory at the Racecourse.

Reid supplied two close-range finishes and another former Red, John Rooney, scored from the spot as Wrexham suffered a heavy home defeat.

The injury-hit Dragons announced three new signings ahead of kick-off, with Guyanan international Keanu Marsh-Brown slotting straight into the starting line-up.

With Jay Harris suspended, Marsh-Brown partnered Dior Angus up front, while Dan Jarvis retained his spot in attacking midfield.

Gold Omotayo and Chris Sang, Wrexham’s other two new attacking reinforcements, were named on the bench but Rob Lainton, Jordan Ponticelli and Theo Vassell remained sidelined with Kwame Thomas.

After a cautious start, Wrexham were actually first to try their luck at goal – Angus’ shot blocked on 13 minutes and, after the Reds recycled possession, Marsh-Brown’s low effort was saved.

Disaster struck just moments later, however – Tyler French failed to deal with a long ball forward and Reid nicked in between the defender and Christian Dibble to prod in.

It was Stockport’s first attempt at goal but Rooney, found space on 19 minutes and shot high and wide from distance.

The Hatters wanted a penalty on 24 minutes, when new signing Paddy Madden chested the ball down and it hit Jordan Davies’ arm, but referee Andrew Kitchen was unmoved.

Stockport doubled their lead on 26 minutes though – Reid tapping in at the back post, after Harry Cardwell flicked Tom Walker's cross on at the near post.

Shell-shocked Wrexham responded by pushing right wing-back Reece Hall-Johnson further forward and his deep cross found Davies on 33 minutes, who dragged his shot wide.

Madden should have scored just a minute later, however – shooting straight at Dibble – who deflected clear – after Jamie Reckord cleared straight to him.

Harry Cardwell then dragged wide on the brink of half-time, after Macauley Southam-Hales' clever flick-on

After a quiet start to the second-half, Wrexham introduced one new signing for another as Omotayo replaced Marsh-Brown on 57 minutes.

Reckord flicked Luke Young’s inswinging corner against the near post on 61 minutes. Omotayo then won a header from Reckord’s cross, but Ben Hinchliffe claimed ahead of French and Fiacre Kelleher.

At the other end, a Wrexham clearance dropped for Rooney on the edge of the box on 66 minutes but Kelleher blocked his shot well.

Stockport ended any hope of a Wrexham comeback when Rooney scored from the spot on 70 minutes, after Reece Hall-Johnson fouled Southam-Hales.

The goal actually came from Wrexham’s own corner – Young’s poor delivery having been cleared at the near post before Southam-Hales beat Mark Carrington on the halfway line.

Stockport did not settle at three either – Cardwell’s shot was blocked by Kelleher on 73 minutes and Reid, seeking his hat-trick, curled just wide moments later.

James Jennings then curled a 20-yard free-kick just wide in the 87th minute after Davies’ foul on the edge of the box.

Stockport could not add to their lead, however, though it was little consolation to Wrexham on a frustrating day at the Racecourse.

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube