Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 29 Sep 2018

Stuart Beavon’s third goal of the season ensured Wrexham returned to winning ways with a narrow 1-0 defeat of Barnet at the Racecourse.

Beavon’s low strike just before half-time proved to be the only goal of the game as the Dragons made it back-to-back home wins after a defeat and draw on the road.

Beavon was one of two changes from the draw with Harrogate, as he and Chris Holroyd replaced Mike Fondop and Paul Rutherford in the starting line-up.

Beavon almost made an immediate impact too, when he played Holroyd in on seven minutes, but the striker had strayed just offside.

Jordan Maguire-Drew had the game’s first big chance on the quarter-hour, when Holroyd flicked on Luke Summerfield’s ball forward, but the Brighton loanee shot wide with only the keeper to beat.

Akil Wright was then almost in on 25 minutes, when goalkeeper Mark Cousins fumbled a high ball under pressure from Holroyd, but the ball was turned behind.

It sparked a series of Wrexham corners, all put under the crossbar to put pressure on Cousins, but the Barnet keeper got just enough on all of them to repel the danger.

While Wrexham had far more attacking possession throughout the first half, chances were otherwise hard to come by in a stop-start game.

Just as the half looked to be fizzling out without a goal, however, Mark Carrington played in Beavon on 42 minutes and he coolly slotted his third goal of the season into the far corner.

Rob Lainton’s first real action came two minutes into the second half, after a mix-up between Brad Walker and Jake Lawlor allowed Wes Fonguck in, but the Dragons’ stopper saved well.

At the other end, Summerfield tried to play Holroyd in behind from a free-kick on 50 minutes, but Cousins was alert to the danger.

That was to be one of Holroyd’s last acts too, as he pulled up chasing a long ball two minutes later and was replaced by Fondop.

Wrexham continued to push for a second, however, and Maguire-Drew’s hanging cross found Beavon on 54 minutes who could not turn it goalwards.

A minute later, Beavon robbed Craig Robson in the middle and got in behind, teeing up Maguire-Drew when his initial cross was blocked, but the winger curled just over.

Maguire-Drew was replaced by Rutherford on 62 minutes, but Barnet began to push Wrexham further back – Shaun Pearson was equal to their balls into the box.

Beavon then played in Fondop at the other end on 72 minutes, who did well to outmuscle Robson, but he dragged his left-footed shot wide.

A minute later, Fondop headed back to Beavon, who nodded on for Summerfield in the area, and the midfielder turned and shot wide.

With just the one goal in it, however, Barnet sniffed an equaliser and substitute Nana Kyei’s low shot was saved by Lainton on 80 minutes.

Luke Young replaced Brad Walker with eight minutes remaining as Sam Ricketts made his final change.

But Fondop’s foul on the edge of the area gave Dan Sparkes the chance to shoot with five minutes remaining – his free-kick straight at the wall before Pearson blocked the rebound.

The pressure continued to mount, however, and Robson’s header – from Kyei’s cross – looped just over on 90 minutes.

But Wrexham stood firm, with the Dragons’ ninth clean sheet of the season securing all three points at the Racecourse.

Wrexham AFC: (4-3-3): Lainton, Roberts, Pearson, Lawlor, Carrington, Wright, Summerfield, Walker (Young 82), Beavon, Holroyd (Fondop 53), Maguire-Drew (Rutherford 62).
Subs not used: Dibble, Deverdics

Barnet: (4-1-4-1): Cousins, Alexander, Robson, Jules, Tutonda, Adams, Mason-Clark (Kyei 77), Taylor, Fonguck, Sparkes, Barham.

Subs not used: Matrevics, Elito, Payne

Referee: Andrew Miller (Durham)

Attendance: 4,727
Away: 77

Bookings -
Wrexham AFC: Carrington (29, foul), Fondop (85, foul)

Barnet: none

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube