REPORT | Wrexham 1-0 Chesterfield

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 02 Mar 2019

Akil Wright’s header was enough to earn league leaders Wrexham a third consecutive home win as the Dragons beat Chesterfield in front of a bumper Racecourse crowd.

With 7,106 packed into the Racecourse, Wright scored the only goal of the game in the second-half.

It means the Dragons stay top of the National League, having won five of their last six matches – and four from five since Bryan Hughes took over as manager.

Rob Lainton, Shaun Pearson and Stuart Beavon all returned after missing the game at Gateshead, with Christian Dibble and Jason Oswell dropping to the bench and Mark Carrington out injured.

It meant Kieran Kennedy lining up at right-back, with Pearson partnering Jake Lawlor in the middle.

The former Manchester City youngster was straight into the action too, with an inch-perfect tackle to deny Marc-Antoine Fortune after the striker turned Lawlor.

Wrexham regained possession and counter-attacked at pace, and Jennings fired over from distance at the end of a positive move.

Two minutes later, good work from Akil Wright forced a corner and Lawlor’s header, from Young’s outswinging cross, was blocked by a Spireites defender.

Chesterfield pressed high and, on 19 minutes, Young blocked well from Jerome Binnom-Williams’ fierce strike before Curtis Weston clipped the bar with a first-time shot from 20 yards.

Wrexham were then guilty of failing to clear their lines on 28 minutes, but Pearson slid in well to block Fortune’s shot from the right.

The Dragons’ best chance of the half fell to Ben Tollitt, after Beavon won possession and fed him first time, but Shwan Jalal was out quick to save as the winger tried to round him.

Wright headed Wrexham in front on 62 minutes though, after an otherwise quiet start to the half – nodding in from close-range after Luke Young’s inch-perfect cross.

As in recent games, the Dragons immediately pushed hard for a second and Spireites keeper Jalal was booked on 63 minutes for handling Kennedy’s long ball outside his area.

James Jennings took the resultant free-kick low and hard, but the wall did its job and Tollitt’s rebound was also blocked.

Tollitt then got in on the left two minutes later and pulled back for Beavon, but he could not get the crucial touch to it on the penalty spot.

It was not all one way traffic, however – Ellis Chapman winning a corner on 68 minutes after an acrobatic effort.

Chapman took the corner himself and, from it, Will Evans’ header was blocked on the line by substitute Oswell before Tom Denton headed over when Chesterfield kept the attack alive.

Tollitt danced through the Chesterfield defence on 81 minutes and pulled back for Oswell but the cross was blocked and Paul Rutherford shot over after claiming the loose ball.

At the other end, Jonathan Smith brought the ball down well on the edge of the area but shot over from a central position.

Chesterfield threw men forward but Pearson and the defence withstood the aerial barrage – another clean sheet ensuring a third 1-0 win in a row at home.

Wrexham AFC: (4-2-3-1): Lainton, Kennedy, Lawlor, Pearson, Jennings, Walker, Young, Rutherford, Wright, Tollitt (Holroyd 81), Beavon (Oswell 66).
Subs: Dibble, Roberts, Stockton.

Chesterfield: (3-1-4-2): Jalal, Yarney, Evans, Hollis, Weir (Shaw 70), Smith, Chapman (Reid 81), Weston, Binnom-Williams, Boden, Fortune (Denton 60).
Subs: Anyon, Maguire.

Referee: Carl Brook (Sussex)
Attendance: 7,106
Away: 576

Bookings -
Pearson 45 (foul)
Chesterfield: Jalal 63 (handball), Yarney 71 (foul)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube