REPORT | Wrexham 1- 0 Dagenham & Redbridge

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 09 Feb 2019

Stuart Beavon scored the only goal of the game as Bryan Hughes’ first game in charge ended with a narrow win against Dagenham & Redbridge.

Beavon stepped off the bench to score in the second-half, with a string of fine saves by Daggers keeper Elliott Justham preventing any further goals.

Hughes’ first team selection showed four changes from the win against Maidenhead a fortnight ago – Luke Young, Bobby Grant, Cole Stockton and Ben Tollitt all starting.

Young replaced the injured Luke Summerfield, while Grant, Stockton and Tollitt – making his first Wrexham start – formed the front three.

Tollitt was the first to go close for the Dragons too, after a cautious opening to the game, firing wide across goal on his left foot on 21 minutes.

Shaun Pearson did well to meet James Jennings’ cross on 27 minutes, but his powerful header from the penalty spot dropped wide.

At the other end, Jake Lawlor produced an inch-perfect tackle as Conor Wilkinson moved in on goal on 35 minutes.

Tollitt won possession in the area on 42 minutes and squared for Grant, but his thunderous right-footed shot was brilliantly palmed onto the bar by Elliot Justham.

Dagenham could not clear their lines and the ball eventually dropped for Stockton but, crowded by defenders, his effort deflected wide.

A series of Wrexham corners followed but ended with Brad Walker heading over from Grant’s cross on 44 minutes.

Four minutes after the restart, Young switched onto his right-foot in the area but his low shot was blocked, while Grant shot wide from distance five minutes later.

Hughes made a double substitution on 57 minutes, introducing Paul Rutherford and Stuart Beavon in place of Grant and Stockton.

The Daggers were next to go close, however, from a fast-paced counter-attack in the 58th minute, but Liam Gordon’s shot was blocked well by Pearson.

Rob Lainton then saved Doug Loft’s low, left-footed shot on 65 minutes after the winger’s corner was worked back to him.

Lainton was called into action again on 71 minutes, when Gordon got forward with pace once more, and blocked the shot at his near post.

Moments later, at the other end, Beavon laid it back to Jennings but his powerful shot was parried wide by Justham.

Beavon made the breakthrough on 74 minutes, however, firing in the rebound after Young’s close-range effort was brilliantly parried by Justham.

Wrexham pushed hard for a second and Paul Rutherford and Stuart Beavon combined for the former to cross on 76 minutes, but Akil Wright fired straight at Justham.

Three minutes later, Pearson headed Young’s corner down for Wright, but the midfielder shot over.

Justham produced another instinctive save on 83 minutes, denying Young from close-range as he looked to tap-in Rutherford’s cross, and Wright could not convert the rebound.

Wright missed another great chance in the 90th minute, firing wide from the middle of the area when Beavon’s low shot was spilled.

But the missed chances were not to be rued, as Ben Nunn fired over in stoppage time with Dagenham’s last kick – Wrexham recording back-to-back home wins and clean sheets.

Wrexham AFC: (4-1-2-3): Lainton, Roberts, Lawlor, Pearson, Jennings, Walker, Young (Carrington 90), Wright, Grant (Rutherford 57), Stockton (Beavon 57), Tollitt.
Subs: Dibble, Holroyd.

Dagenham & Redbridge: (4-4-2): Justham, Onariase, Clark, Goodliffe (McQueen 80), Gordon, Nunn, Robinson, Wright, Loft (Hardfield 80), Reynolds, Wilkinson (Kandi 46).
Subs: Moore, Smith.

Referee: Marc Edwards (Tyneside)
Attendance: 5,366
Away: 80

Bookings -
Walker (20, foul)
Dagenham & Redbridge: none


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube