REPORT | Wrexham 1-0 Maidenhead United

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 26 Jan 2019

A solitary goal in the second half from Luke Young was just what the doctor ordered to get Wrexham's promotion challenge back on track.

Wrexham had gone over nine hours without scoring, so the first goal of 2019 will go a long way to restoring the team's confidence.

The Dragons nearly made the perfect start to the game, after Rekeil Pyke headed Luke Summerfield's cross just wide, two minutes in.

Seven minutes later and Pyke once again had the chance to give Wrexham the lead, after he cleverly cut inside. His shot from the tight angle had plenty of power, but was just too high and wide.

Beside these good chances, the game was a mostly scrappy affair, with torrential rain disrupting any sort of fluid play.

Late in the first half, once again it looked like Wrexham had taken the lead from a set piece. The ball from Paul Rutherford found the head of Stuart Beavon, whose shot was rebounded to the feet of Pyke, who tapped in easily, but was deemed to be offside.

Wrexham started the second half much the same way they had started the first, creating a flurry of chances early on. But once again, despite plenty of possession in the opposition's third, they couldn't find a way through.

The nine-hour goal drought finally came to an end on the 65th minute, with a strike from Young. A low ball was fired across the box, and Young was there to poke it home.

As the second half grew on, Wrexham were without a doubt the better side, continuing to create a number of chances following the goal.

In the end, a solid win for Wrexham, something that was sorely needed.

Wrexham: Lainton, Roberts, Jennings, Pearson, Summerfield, Pyke, Rutherford, Walker, Wright, Beavon, Lawlor.
Subs: Dibble, Young, Holroyd, Oswell, Grant.

Maidenhead United: Pentney, Steer, Odametey, Kilgour, Comley, Twumasi, Clifton, Akintunde, Upward, Massey, Nombe.
Subs: Clerima, Alves, Owusu, Kelly, Bird.

Referee: Garreth Rhodes (Yorkshire)
Attendance: 4,323
Away: 52

Bookings -
Young (80, foul)
Maidenhead: Twumasi (55, foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube