REPORT | Wrexham 1-0 Solihull Moors

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 29 Dec 2018

Paul Rutherford’s first league goal of the season saw Wrexham move to within a point of league leaders Leyton Orient, with a game in hand, after a narrow home win against Solihull Moors.

Rutherford, the match winner in this fixture last year, struck the only goal early in the second-half – his first in the league since April.

And the result, combined with Salford’s defeat at Barrow and Leyton Orient’s goalless draw at Dover, means Wrexham sit four points clear of third-placed Fylde and one behind the leaders.

Graham Barrow opted for an unchanged starting XI for the third consecutive game, though fit-again Kevin Roberts and Luke Young, available after his three-game ban, were back on the bench.

Solihull had the first sight of goal, however, when Luke Summerfield conceded a free-kick 20 yards from goal in the third minute, but Darren Carter shot into the wall and then fired the rebound over.

At the other end, Bobby Grant teed up James Jennings to cross on 11 minutes, after an inch-perfect cross-field pass, but Akil Wright headed over unmarked at the back post.

Ex-Wrexham striker Danny Wright picked Brad Walker’s pocket on the quarter-hour and found strike partner Nathan Blissett, who shot wide from 18 yards.

Akil Wright then headed wide again three minutes later, glancing an effort across goal from Mark Carrington’s cross as both sides continued to trade chances.

That pattern of play continued when Carter was given time and space to run and shoot left-footed from 20 yards, but Lainton got down well to parry clear.

Wright shot over for Wrexham a minute later after some patient build-up, leaning back and off balance from Stuart Beavon’s lay-off.

Beavon then did well to cross low from the right on 26 minutes, but Tyrone Williams got in ahead of Bobby Grant, who was waiting to slide in from close range.

Jennings’ cross was headed clear only as far as Luke Summerfield 20 yards out on 33 minutes, but the midfielder volleyed over first time.

Danny Wright continued to cause problems at the other end though, and he shot high and wide on 38 minutes after Jake Lawlor miscontrolled.

Two minutes later, Brad Walker ran into space and unleashed a low 30-yard effort, but it was straight at Ryan Boot, who saved and held.

Wrexham owed it to James Jennings that it was still goalless at the break, however, when he cleared Carter’s low effort off the line in first-half stoppage time.

Rutherford broke the deadlock four minutes after the interval though – James Jennings crossed from the left after Grant’s superb flick-on and, after Beavon’s touch, Rutherford turned in from close range.

The second-half had less flow than the first, with a number of free-kicks disrupting the rhythm.

From one such set piece, on the left of the Wrexham area on the hour, Danny Wright deflected the ball wide from Jamey Osborne’s cross.

Alex Gudger then headed wide from Jamie Reckford’s cross on 75 minutes before, moments later, a fast-paced Wrexham counter-attack ended with Summerfield dragging a shot wide.

Akil Wright then made space on the left of the area on 78 minutes, but opted to shoot from a tight angle and Boot saved low at the near post.

Solihull went close to levelling with five minutes remaining, when Wrexham failed to clear in the area and Gudger pounced on the loose ball, but he shot into the ground and wide.

Substitute Ben Tollitt cut inside onto his right foot for Wrexham in the 90th minute, but his low shot was saved and held.

Solihull threw men forward in the five minutes of stoppage time but were met by a wall of Wrexham defenders as the Dragons stood firm to record back-to-back home wins.

Wrexham AFC: (4-1-4-1): Lainton, Carrington, Lawlor, Pearson, Jennings, Walker (Roberts 86), Grant, Summerfield (Tollitt 79), Wright, Rutherford, Beavon (Young 67).
Subs: Dibble, Holroyd.

Solihull Moors: (4-4-2): Boot, Williams, Gudger, Daly, Reckford, Maxwell (Hylton 68), Storer, Osborne, Carter, Blissett (Stenson 79), Wright (Yussuf 71).
Subs: Carline, Flowers.

Referee: Declan Bourne (Notts)
Attendance: 6,220
Away: 116

Bookings -
Grant (83, foul off the ball)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube