REPORT | Wrexham 1-0 Woking

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 26 Aug 2017

Wrexham returned to winning ways with a narrow 1-0 win over Woking in the National League following a first Dragons goal for James Jennings.

The full-back steered the ball in following a cross for a corner on the stroke of half-time, and with that Wrexham record back-to-back home wins.

Wrexham made four changes to the team that lost to Maidstone United last weekend, as James Hurst replaced Kevin Roberts, Jack Mackreth replaced Paul Rutherford, Ntumba Massanka came in for Scott Boden whilst Akil Wright was brought in for the suspended Mark Carrington. Manny Smith who was sent off last weekend had his suspension overturned and was in the starting line-up.

The game began brightly for the Dragons starting on the front foot, in the sixth minute a chance fell to Alex Reid who latched on to a Massanka flick on, but a header of his own couldn't be steered on target and flew over the bar. Woking replied instantly as the ball fell to Chez Issac on the edge of the Wrexham box, but he cotuld only volley wide.

On 12 minutes, many at the Racecourse thought the Dragons had taken the lead as Jack Mackreth's corner found the back post and the ball went missing in a sea of bodies, only for it to narrowly beat the post and go out for a goal kick. Seconds later Reid was set through one-on-one with goalkeeper Nathan Baxter, but his driven effort at goal was pushed away by the Cardinals' shot-stopper.

Wrexham goal v Woking James Jennings celebrates

Dean Keates' side were dealt a blow midway through the first half, as a bright Mackreth was forced off the pitch with injury and replaced by Paul Rutherford.

The game went a little flat after 25 minutes with chances few and far between, but one big chance fell to Wrexham's in-form striker Reid. Wright steamed forward at pace down the middle and fed the ball wide to Rutherford who's resulting cross found Reid with his back to goal, he turned well but  only aim his shot wide of the post.

After all of Wrexham's hard work in creating some good chances, they finally had some reward. Moments before the whistle for half-time Kelly delievered a corner which was headed at goal by Manny Smith, it was blocked on the line before Jennings poked it over and gave Wrexham the lead going into the break.

Half-Time: Wrexham 1-0 Woking 

Woking started brightly in the second half and were really trying to get at Wrexham from the off. Bobson Bawling had an early second half shot saved well by Dibble. 

For large spells of the second period neither side had any major chances, but following some heroic defending from Manny Smith who denied Joe Ward a chance just a few yards out, the floodgates looked like they might just open.

The Reds replied well as Massanka was set through with a chance up against the goalkeeper but couldn't generate enough power to beat Baxter, who gathered his effort outside the box with ease.

Seconds later his striking partner Reid was gifted a chance, with just the goalkeeper to beat his powerful effort was well saved after the man on loan from Fleetwood was pushed wide. Looking to rectify his missed chance when Massanka set him through but he blazed his effort from the edge of the box well over.

Wrexham's Ntumba Massanka on the ball v Woking

The visitors best chance of the game came six minutes before time, a scooped ball into the box found Jamie Philpott who six yards out put the ball wide, a real let off for the Dragons.

Seconds later Woking had yet another golden oppurtunity, but this one was almost a gift. A corner was swung in and hit the shin of Shaun Pearson and bounced off the post, a lucky escape for the skipper.

As the Cards began to get closer and closer it was a relief for Wrexham to hear the final whistle and earn a third win of the season and two on the bounce at the Racecourse to set up a great bank holiday weekend.

Man of the Match: Akil Wright

Wrexham: Dibble, Hurtst, M.Smith, Pearson, Jennings; Mackreth (Rutherford 28), Wedgbury, Wright, Kelly (Boden 90); Massanka (L Smith 79), Reid.
Subs: Marx, Roberts.

Woking: Baxter, Ramsay, Raplth, Stauton, Orlu, Bawling (Banton 72), Issac (Appau 85), Effiong, Carter (Philpot 65), Ferdinand, Ward.
Subs: Mason, Young.

Referee: Peter Gibbons (Merseyside)
Attendance: 3,875
Away: 66

Booking -
Wrexham: Wright (50, foul)

Photographs courtesy of Alun Roberts (AJAR Photographics)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube