REPORT | Wrexham 1-1 Guiseley

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 16 Sep 2017

Sam Wedgbury's late strike extends Wrexham's unbeaten run to six games in a thrilling end at the Racecourse.

Guiseley's Raul Correia opened the scoring and it looked to be the only goal of the game, that was before Wedgbury's 96th minute strike sent Wrexham fans home with a point.

Wrexham came into the match on an unbeaten run of five matches and having kept a clean sheet in each of those matches. Luke Coddington came in having signed a few hours before to make his second Wrexham debut, having played four matches under Dean Keates in 2016. James Jennings returned to the side following suspension as well as Marcus Kelly who came back from injury. 

The Dragons started brightly and created chances throughout the opening few moments, and came closest in the first-half when James Jennings swung in a wonderful low cross, Holroyd and Boden were lurking near the six yard box but neither could get a toe to it.

Guiseley's first chance came 26 minutes into the match with Lee Molyneux, who moments earlier was booked for a foul on Paul Rutherford, unleashed a shot from 25-yards out which was tipped behind his post by Luke Coddington.

From the resulting corner came a scramble and eventually the ball fell to Raul Correia, who struck the ball to the bottom right of the Wrexham goal to put the Lions ahead.

Guiseley began to get on top of the game futher, with Molyneux in the thick of the action drilling a shot on goal five minutes after the visistors took the lead, with his effort blocked well by Manny Smith.

Just before the half-time whistle went, Holroyd had a chance to create something as he dashed down the left before squaring the ball for the on running attackers in the box, but it was gathered by the goalkeeper Green.

Half-Time: Wrexham 0-1 Guiseley 

Wrexham's Chris Holroyd stretches for a cross in the Guiseley box

The visitors came out in the second half looking to add a second and created chances from the off, a corner for the Lions was swung in and from a yard out Correia managed to head the ball over the Wrexham goal.

The Dragons created a chance of their own moments later as Jennings' cross was met by the head over Scott Boden eight yards out but he couldn't find the target.

On the hour mark Guiseley saw four players go down injured, including the goalscorer Carreia, who was eventually brought off after some handbags between both sides and replaced.

That time spent wasting time would come back to haunt the Lions with eight minutes added on by the fourth official.

But first Wrexham had a brilliant chance to pull level on the 71st minute, as a ball from the right by Rutherford was met by Holroyd whose header was brilliantly saved by Green, diving backwards to tip the ball away.

With Wrexham desperately seeking an equaliser, Wedgbury popped up on the edge of the box after 96 minutes, where he unleashed a fierce strike to the bottom right hand corner and the points were shared. 

Wrexham: Coddington, Roberts, Pearson, M.Smith, Jennings, Rutherford, Carrington, Wedgbury, Kelly (Massanka 77), Holroyd (Mackreth 77), Boden (Reid 60).
Subs: Preston, Wright.

Guiseley: Green, Brown, Lowe, Palmer, Lawlor (East 60), Hatfield, Rooney, Molyneux, (Thompson 84), Correia (Hurst 68), Odejayi, Atkinson.
Subs: Mulhern, Williams.

Referee: Mr J Hull (Manchester)
Attendance: 3,916
Away: 53

Bookings -
Holroyd, Rutherford (30, ungentlemanly)
Guiseley: Molyneux (23, foul), Brown (59, foul), Green (71, time wasting), Lowe (90+3, foul)

Man of the Match: Marcus Kelly

Photographs courtesy of Alun Roberts (AJAR Photographics) and Jim Roberts


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube