REPORT | Wrexham 2-0 Aldershot Town

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 01 Sep 2018

Stuart Beavon scored his first Wrexham goal as the Dragons returned to the top of the National League by beating Aldershot Town at the Racecourse.

Beavon opened the scoring and Jordan Maguire-Drew’s third goal of the season sealed victory as Wrexham moved one point clear at the top.

Beavon and Maguire-Drew were two of four changes from the Bank Holiday Monday trip to Solihull Moors, with Nicky Deverdics also returning to the side and Doug Tharme replacing injured Manny Smith.

Chances were hard to come by early on in a stop-start game, with neither side able to find any rhythm, but it was Wrexham who enjoyed the better chances in the first half.

Captain Shaun Pearson went close to breaking the deadlock on 21 minutes, from Luke Summerfield’s corner, but his header was kept out by a combination of post and defender.

Mike Fondop teed up Summerfield on the edge of the area on 32 minutes, but the midfielder’s curling shot was parried clear by Jake Cole.

From the resultant corner, Beavon then got across his man at the front post but his crisp volley was just over.

Fondop had a great chance to give Wrexham the lead three minutes before half-time, after robbing Josh Lelan of possession, but – one-on-one with Cole – he shot straight at the keeper.

Aldershot started the second-half brighter, however – Regan Booty’s cross fell for Jacob Berkeley-Agyepong on 52 minutes, but Rob Lainton got a hand to his shot and Mark Carrington cleared.

A minute later, Adam McDonnell crossed for unmarked Scott Rendell in the middle, but the Shots’ captain headed straight at a grateful Lainton.

Ricketts responded by bringing on Young for Deverdics in the middle and it was the substitute’s run and cross which led to the corner from which the Dragons opened the scoring on 62 minutes.

From that corner, Summerfield’s ball in from the right was met by an unmarked Beavon in the middle, and he headed high into the middle of the net.

Wrexham were forced into a tactical reshuffle on 75 minutes, when Doug Tharme limped off with cramp – Kevin Roberts moving to centre-back and substitute Paul Rutherford slotting in at right-back.

Maguire-Drew doubled the lead on 78 minutes though – stabbing in from close-range after Lewis Kinsella failed to properly cut out Summerfield’s deep free kick.

It was to be the winger’s last action too, with Rekeil Pyke – who was already set to come on before the goal – replacing him in Wrexham’s final change.

The Shots should have pulled one back with eight minutes remaining, but Rendell somehow managed to head straight at Lainton from close range again after meeting Dan Holman’s cross unmarked.

Pyke then beat his man on the right and pulled back for Fondop on 89 minutes, but Wrexham’s top scorer could not add to his goal tally as he shot well over.

Nevertheless, Wrexham return to the top of the National League table thanks to the win – one point clear of Harrogate Town, AFC Fylde, Solihull Moors and Tuesday night’s opponents FC Halifax Town.

Wrexham: (4-2-3-1): Lainton, Roberts, Tharme (Rutherford 75), Pearson, Carrington, Wright, Summerfield, Beavon, Deverdics (Young 57), Maguire-Drew (Pyke 80), Fondop.
Subs: Dibble, Holroyd.

Aldershot Town: (4-2-3-1): Cole, Bernard, Lelan, Fowler, Kinsella, Booty (Rowe 66), Howell, Wanadio (Fenelon 70), Berkeley-Agyepong (Holman 77), McDonnell, Rendell.
Subs: Gallagher, Smith.

Referee: Glen Hart (Durham)
Attendance: 4,648
Away: 143

Bookings -
Wrexham: Pearson (90, foul)
Aldershot Town: Rendell (62, dissent), Berkeley-Agyepong (72, foul)


arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube