Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 07 Dec 2019

Omari Patrick scored his third goal in two games to set Wrexham on the way to a second consecutive win, as the Dragons beat high-flying Solihull Moors.

Patrick opened the scoring with a neat finish and James Jennings’ excellent strike doubled the lead before half-time.

And Wrexham stood firm through a fragmented second-half, in which a number of players from both teams were booked, to make it six points from the last two games.

Dean Keates stuck with the same team that won at Eastleigh in mid-week, with the only change on the bench – where Jazzi Barnum-Bobb replaced Devonte Redmond.

There was a slight change to the formation, however – Paul Rutherford playing in a more advanced role as part of a front three.

Wrexham got on the front foot early too, with Mark Carrington testing the Solihull defence with an early cross within the first minute.

Bobby Grant had the Dragons’ first shot on goal, however – muscling his way inside on 11 minutes – but his left-footed shot was straight at Ryan Boot.

Two minutes later, Patrick’s clever flick played Paul Rutherford in down the right, and he crossed for Grant, but Boot was out quickly to charge down his shot.

Patrick fired Wrexham in front on 21 minutes though, cutting inside and placing a low right-footed finish into the bottom corner from outside the area.

Solihull were inches away from an equaliser on 41 minutes, however, after Jennings was penalised for an alleged trip on the edge of the box.

Jamey Osborne curled the free-kick over the Wrexham wall, but the ball clattered off the bar and Wrexham cleared.

Jennings took full advantage of the reprieve too, as he doubled the lead on the stroke of half-time with a brilliant left-footed finish.

Jake Lawlor started the move with a clever dummy, before Wrexham worked the ball left for Jennings and the wing-back drove into the area and fired across goal into the top corner.

There was still time in stoppage time for Osborne to attempt another free-kick on the edge of the box, but this time he curled his effort well over.

Solihull wasted little time getting on the front foot after the break, however, and there were less than 20 seconds on the clock when Rob Lainton charged down Jake Beesley’s effort.

At the other end, Akil Wright released Grant on 51 minutes but defenders had got back to cover as he cut onto his left-foot and Boot parried safely clear.

Two minutes later, Jennings – in space – fired low across goal and the ball almost dropped for Luke Young, but Paul McCallum made a vital clearance.

Solihull’s response was to throw on former Wrexham man Danny Wright as they elected for even more height in attack.

Osborne’s shot deflected wide for the visitors on 58 minutes, meanwhile, and McCallum headed over from the resultant corner.

The game became fragmented, however, and tensions rose when Danny Wright went in late on Lainton with an aerial challenge.

James Ball should have pulled on back on 81 minutes but somehow shot straight at Lainton from close range after a free-kick was kept alive in the area.

Players from both teams came together again after substitute Nathan Blissett fouled Jennings, and Lee Vaughan kicked the ball at the stricken Wrexham player.

Blissett, Vaughan and Grant all received yellow cards as a result as the game threatened to spiral out of control.

Further yellow cards followed for Mark Harris, who was warming up as a sub at the time, Jason Oswell and Callum Howe but Wrexham stayed focussed to earn a second consecutive clean sheet.

Wrexham: (3-4-3): Lainton; Kennedy, Pearson, Lawlor; Carrington, Wright, Young, Jennings; Grant, Patrick (Oswell 82), Rutherford

Subs not used: Dibble, Tollitt, Barnum-Bobb, Harris

Solihull Moors: (4-4-2): Boot, Vaughan, Howe, Gudger, Reckord (Williams 78), Osborne, Ball, Storer, Gunning (Wright 54), McCallum, Beesley (Blissett 78)
Subs not used: Hawkridge, Jones

Referee: Elliott Swallow
Attendance: 3,113
Away: 120

Bookings -
Wrexham: Kennedy (45+3, dissent), Lainton (45+4, dissent), Wright (80, foul), Grant (84, UGC), Harris (85, time wasting), Oswell (90+1’, UGC)

Solihull Moors: McCallum (50, dissent), Wright (68, ungentlemanly conduct), Blissett (84, foul), Vaughan (84, UGC), Howe (90+1, UGC)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube